Room Layout/Subwoofer Suggestions

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Gordon D, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Gordon D

Gordon D Auditioning

I'm setting up my HT in a finished basement and am curious about my subwoofer placement because of the room oddities. The finished area is basically an upside down 'L'

|---|
    -------------------------| x |-----------|
    | |
    | |
    | |
    | |
    | |
    | |--| |
    | | c| |
    | | | |
    | |--| |-----| |
    | |
    | |
    | |-| |------------| d|-|
    | | | s |
    | | | t |
    | | | a |
    | | | i |
    | | | r |
    |---------------| | s |

Where 'c' is a framed in column
    'd' is a doorway
    'x' is a 52" wide 24" deep area where I plan to place the TV
    |-----| will be a couch

Would the location 'x' be a good location for the subwoofer?
    Since the flooring is carpet over concrete and there is essentially a single functional corner where the wife wants a piece of furniture, my thought was it could be a good spot to maximize the bass. I could also build a small floor in that spot to get it off the concrete floor as well.

My only concern before I venture into it is since subwoofers are omnidirectional, by putting in this setting am I effectively removing that, forcing the soundwaves down too narrow a corridor?

The sound waves will certainly be bouncing off the 3 walls and floor in rapid succession before they make their way out into the room, so I'm up in the air about it. May just come down to put it there and see.

Any suggestions would be apprecitated though before I start.

Thanks in advance.
    Gordon

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Most likely on of your front corners will be the best spot for the sub (acoustically anyway).

One way I was always told to test subwoofer placement in a room is to temporarily place your sub in your seating area and run some bass heavy material through the system. Then slowly walk the perimeter of the room along the walls. You'll notice the properties of the LFE will change as you move along the walls. Make a couple of circuits and note the places where the LFE sounds the best. Usually that's a corner, but wherever you feel it sounds best with that setup is the best location for the sub, which will give the best performance at your seating area.

That worked for me.

Also, I left my sub on the carpet over my concrete basement floor and I prefer the sound of that over putting it on a platform. It seems to sound more "solid" if that makes sense. Lifted off the floor, it sounded hollow and boomy to me. Your milage may vary.