Room Layout & Shape

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Luke S, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Luke S

Luke S Auditioning

I'm looking into a FPHT but I have issues with my room layout. It is L shaped with a half wall adjacent to the wall where I'd like to put my screen. The half wall is about 3 feet high opening into a larger room which looks down into the proposed HT room. Will this half wall along with the shape of the room totally screw up my acoustics? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

LS

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Luke,

It’s hard to say without seeing your room, but it’s unlikely your situation will “screw” up your acoustics.

Actually, I’ve found that the more irregularities in a room, the better. The worst rooms acoustically seem to be ones with parallel surfaces and shoe-box dimensions. For one, they all seem to have a “hole” in bass response in the middle of the room, and bass sounds noticeably different anywhere in the room you move. In my experience it’s easier to achieve more uniform bass response throughout the room, or at least in a larger area of it.

Same with wall reflections. Irregular rooms will tend to diffuse reflections better than perfectly symmetrical rooms.

In your situation with a kind of “L,” there are a few things to keep in mind that are applicable in any room. Speakers near corners or walls will reinforce bass more than speakers out in the open (i.e., near no boundaries). So if your system is off-set and you have one speaker close to a corner, and the other well away from a corner, the former will have more powerful bass response than the latter. Upper frequencies also may sound different between the two, as the former will have sound waves reflecting off the adjacent wall more so than the other.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Luke S

Luke S Auditioning

Thanks Wayne!