What's new

Room layout/set up question (1 Viewer)

Tom Garvey

Stunt Coordinator
In my new house to be (I'm going from memory: 6 weeks ago).. the basement is approximately 18 long and the width of the room varies.. I would say 6-8 feet of the room is about 9' wide with the rest being 12' wide. Make sense?

My question: Do I want the front to be in the wider or narrower part of the room? A brief explanation as to why.. would be appreciated.

Here's a diagram

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Tom,

That looks alot like my living room. At 1st, I had TV/Fronts/Center along the wide wall. While I was closer to the TV, I was never satisfied with my sound. I had 2 Klipsch RF3's and an RC3 for speakers and after playing around with toeing of the speakers, I finally found that if I sat exactly in the center of the couch, sitting straight up, it sounded good (pretty small sweet spot). Getting a wild hair, I decided to try it against the short wall and it was night and day. I had a much larger sweet spot and sound stage. My living room is still not ideal as it has a faily large vaulted ceiling starting at one of the short walls going up as it goes toward the other short wall (about 20' high at the top) so I know Im still losing some sound. Its amazing how much more bass I can hear in my loft overlooking the living room than actualy sitting in my living room.

Basically, every room will have its own sound characteristics and you may to play with your setup and go with whatever sounds best to you. Maybe somebody out there will have some better explanation as to which way to go and why.

Regards,
Phil

Tom Garvey

Stunt Coordinator
Philip.. thanks for your response. Reading your response.. I don't think I explained it properly.

I don't want to put the front against the 18' wall.. I want to know whether it would be better along the 12' wall (the wider side of the room) or the 9' wall (the narrower)?

I don't know if one way would be more accoustically challenging?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks