What's new

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The second and final screen pairing of (then) real-life couple Cary Grant and Betsy Drake, Room For One More is a pleasant family comedy tackling the subject of foster children and adoption.  While its episodic structure seems to predict the rise of the sitcom format that would soon take over the television airwaves, Grant’s charisma and chemistry with Drake make for an above average film.

Room for One More (1952)

Released: 10 Jan 1952
Rated: Approved
Runtime: 98 min

Director: Norman Taurog
Genre: Comedy

Cast: Cary Grant, Betsy Drake, Lurene Tuttle, Randy Stuart
Writer(s): Jack Rose (screenplay), Melville Shavelson (screenplay), Anna Perrot Rose (book)

Plot: New Jersey couple Anna and Poppy Rose adopt several kids born into less fortunate circumstances, including a desperately unhappy 13-year-old girl and a...

Continue reading...

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
You're certainly the right person to review this movie, which is one of the Cary Grant movies that never got a proper DVD release. I was always hoping for one more Warner box set, with "None But The Lonely Heart", "Crisis", "Every Girl Should Be Married", "Once Upon A Honeymoon", "Mr. Lucky", "In Name Only", "Dream Wife", and this one, but I had to settle for Warner Archive MOD discs that were serviceable but not great. I was amazed and delighted to see that "Room For One More" was getting the Warner Archive Blu-Ray treatment. I'm pleased to know it's got your expert approval, and I hope the flood gates are about to open. By the way, Josh is too modest to direct folks to his Cary Grant forum, but I am not: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...tching-all-of-his-movies.347637/#post-4378391

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
You're certainly the right person to review this movie, which is one of the Cary Grant movies that never got a proper DVD release. I was always hoping for one more Warner box set, with "None But The Lonely Heart", "Crisis", "Every Girl Should Be Married", "Once Upon A Honeymoon", "Mr. Lucky", "In Name Only", "Dream Wife", and this one, but I had to settle for Warner Archive MOD discs that were serviceable but not great. I was amazed and delighted to see that "Room For One More" was getting the Warner Archive Blu-Ray treatment. I'm pleased to know it's got your expert approval, and I hope the flood gates are about to open. By the way, Josh is too modest to direct folks to his Cary Grant forum, but I am not: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...tching-all-of-his-movies.347637/#post-4378391

Obviously, this film is probably going to have to sell for more of the Warner-owned Cary Grants to come, but there is word that more might be coming this year. On the other forum, somebody recently compiled all the info and hints for potential future WAC releases from the podcasts and other sources, and someone else said that a Ben Stoddart from BFI said on Facebook last month that, and I quote:
I can’t divulge the label or my source but Bringing Up Baby is getting a restoration and Blu-ray. Probably in 2021. 🙂
Obviously, it's just a rumor at the moment (and we don't know whether it will be WAC or Criterion if it does happen), but there might be *some* hope, anyway.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Obviously, this film is probably going to have to sell for more of the Warner-owned Cary Grants to come, but there is word that more might be coming this year. On the other forum, somebody recently compiled all the info and hints for potential future WAC releases from the podcasts and other sources, and someone else said that a Ben Stoddart from BFI said on Facebook last month that, and I quote:
I can’t divulge the label or my source but Bringing Up Baby is getting a restoration and Blu-ray. Probably in 2021. 🙂
Obviously, it's just a rumor at the moment (and we don't know whether it will be WAC or Criterion if it does happen), but there might be *some* hope, anyway.
Excellent review Josh! Thank you and let's hope that rumor about Bringing Up Baby is true. Long overdue and it seems as though it would be released by Criterion, but I don't care who releases it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks