Room Dimensions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by kumar, Dec 1, 2003.

1. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

Hi All,

As I am getting closer day by day to finalize on my Receiver/Stereo to start building my HT, I have this big confusion/doubt on back of my mind.

As of now, I am looking at HK7200 with Klipsch RF 35s or 5s as my front. I already have Sony DVP NS755.
    Planning for a widescreen sometime soon.

With this setup and given that my requirement is 60% music and 40% Movies/ TVs, my biggest doubt keeps bothering me.
    Which is after all this investment will my room dimension give me crisp, clear music and HT experience (without the sub, Center and Surround [​IMG] ).
    My room dimensions are 18*17*17 (its a two storied room) that opens to the kitchen at the back.

Any help? [​IMG]

2. John S

John S Producer

I may get flammed for saying this....

But with 60% music, I'd look at alternatives to Klipsch, especialy if you like classical or jazz, horns just shrill out of Klipsch speakers in my experiences.

If you do go with them, try to find the most "laid back" reciever you can for music in particular. Now in HT where steering is important, I feel those Klipsch models do a bang up job, but they may be some of me least favorite speakers for music content, which I seem to be overly picky about most would say.

Let the Klipsch loving retaliation to this post begin!!! lol
    Try to be gentle, it is after all just an opinion.

3. Robert AG

Robert AG Stunt Coordinator

I do agree that Klipsch horn speakers can be harsh, but this is a characteristic of all horns if they are not done well. I'm as anal about music reproduction as a person can get, yet I use horns (not Klipsch). I have found the key to good horn performance is to use tube amplification (preferrably single ended triodes) and active bi-amplification. An ultra-linear tube amp for the woofer and a single ended triode for the tweeter horn is the best combination.

This is way more trouble than most anybody would go through to get good sound out of horns, so most people simply don't. That's a shame since no other speaker technology has the dynamic quickness of horns with compression drivers.

4. John S

John S Producer

Tube amps and bi-amp'n, I think is just the ticket for maybe even the best audio combo out there. I almost persued this as my most recent HT upgrade, but decided against it for the "way more trouble" aspect of it.

I would sure love to demo such a setup though!!!!!!
    It would probabvly have me pulling out the old CC to upgrade for sure.

5. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

OK... If Klispsch are not best for Music. What are the better ones? in the similar price range?

Plus my concern is about the room dimensions too....

6. John S

John S Producer

Yes, you will want efficient ones that is for sure.

If your post was 60% HT and 40% music, I probably would not have posted the caution on them.

I like the JBL s-series as one of the best for music on a tighter budget, they are going away completely. I don't like their E and/or N series near as much on music.
    It is a hard call for sure, If you auditioned music with them, and liked the sound of the Klipsch, take serious not of the amp / reciever / pre-pro that was being used.

Is your room very lively?

I am surprised more people have not chimed in with suggestions for you. The 60% music, may be throwing them off some, as this is an HT forum.

In the end, you should audition as many as possible, and pick the ones you think have the best balance between HT and music.

And just because I am not a Klipsch fan for music, I am sure there are others that are big fans of them for music content.

Speaking music only here, what speakers have you enjoyed for that purpose? Maybe take the one out of that bunch that also gets the best reviews and comments for HT as well.

I am probably about 50% music 50% HT, I would say my JBL s38's are better at music, and decent for HT.

If a room is extra dead, the Klipsch can even provide some benfits for music, my room is quite lively with lots of reflections to deal with.

The Klipsch have a much better chance of providing reference type volume levels with less power in a larger room.

I wish I could just give you a more definitive answer, but so much is personal preference / room accoustics / power amp personality / raw power / ect..ect.....

And you thought this was going to be easy huh??? lol

7. kumar

kumar Stunt Coordinator

John I appreciate your feedback. I am planning to talk-into the sales guy at our local store here to give me the Klipsch for a weekend demo.

If it sounds good I will keep them or may be I can demo his Def Techs too. As you said I can probably play a similar stuff with the local BestBuy too for "demo" ing their JBLs.

Its fairly a rectangular room and not much reflections though.