What's new

room dimensions and speakers (1 Viewer)

russell>b

Auditioning
Hi, I'm new to all this and the forum... some great info here

I am making my lounge room into a home theatre and need advice on the room setup and speaker layout. It's a 7.1 system and am planning on a 100" diag screen with projector. (the wife went out and bought a nice 7.1 receiver for xmas :D )

I have a rough layout here, drawing is to scale, room is 16ft x 13ft

russellbrown.id.au/room.jpg

do the front speakers need to be closer together ... the angles seem correct but they seem further apart than most people seem to have them ?

the back speakers are my old front towers (same brand as my new front towers) and they are obviously towers at ground level .. should I mount them higer on a stand ?

The lounge is only 1Ft from back wall ...while I cant move it too far forward but would I benefit from moving the lounge and side surrounds say another 1ft forward ?

any feedback appreciated

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Russell, I would look to move the lounge/couch forward more if you can, like you said. But also, have you thought of moving your L/R surround speakers more to the "side" of the listening area...just slightly behind? It would help to see the walls in your diagram as well.

russell>b

Auditioning
sorry .. the limit of the drawing are where the walls are.

I asume you mean move the left and right surround speakers further out ? .... mmmm there against the walls at the moment.

I think this is what I was trying to get at be saying should I move the front speakers closer in ie. most people seem to have the rear speakers wider than the front speakers.

cheers

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Ok...that makes sense. In a 7.1 configuration like you have, and Dolby specs recommend, having your surrounds to either side of the listening position or slightly behind on the "side walls." Each room is unique to speaker placement, so first you have to determine exactly where the seating will be and THEN place speakers according to the seating position(s).

And it's best to have a bit more room behind you then perhaps you have, at least three feet would be great, to get proper rear imaging.

SteveLeach

Stunt Coordinator
From looking at your drawing, you show the front edge of the couch as being 12ft from the front wall. Assuming the screen is mounted flush with the front wall, you should be able to move the couch closer to the screen. So that your eyes are 12ft from the couch not your knees. That should give you a bit more room behind the couch for better imaging.
Hope this helps...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks