Room dehumifiers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay H, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Are these any good? Our (central) A/C unit died since it's like 35 years old and figure it's kind of late in the season to get it replaced so most likely we'll wait til next year, or maybe the fall if it's cheaper. But in the meantime, I was wondering about room dehumifiers, any good? Typically, I don't mind the heat at all that much, the humidity sucks though, was wondering if I could find one perhaps on closeout now, I could put it downstairs where I sleep when it's hot and it might help. The room is about 15' floor space and about 8' high...

Jay

2. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

They do dry the air out. I use one in my basement or else that room would be very musty smelling.

3. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I've always been skeptical about their effectiveness - it seems to me the humid air will just tumble on down to the basement as fast as the moisture can be extricated from the room.

We are using one tho, and the basement rec room seems a bit dryer as a result. But it makes a hell of a noise, needs a 2 gallon reservoir emptied every day or so, and I'm told its a heavy user of electricity...