1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

room dampening questions..help

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JeffTimmerman, Jan 10, 2004.

1. JeffTimmerman

I have a question about dampening a room. I currently have 1 inch thick studio foam squares on my back wall behind the tv and front tower speakers. I have seen a dramatically better sound and less echo (I have no furniture in this room as it is just for home theater). Currently I have no foam anywhere else in the room. My question is what do you do for the ceiling? I know you can calculate reflection points and standing waves and all that stuff (too complicated for me unless someone really explains it well) but should you also take into account ceiling reflections and foam some of that too?

Thanks,
    jeff

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Jeff.

This is a bit advanced for the Basics section. I'm going to move your post over to the "HT Construction and Interiors" fourm where the guys with dedicated HT rooms hang out.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    One common trick is the mirror: With the mirror against a room boundary, and the main seating postion as a reference, anywhere you can see the speakers reflecting in the mirror, thats where you would need some treatment. Typically used to find reflection points on the wall, but I see no reson it wouldn't work for a ceiling, too.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

IMO, acousticaly treating the ceiling is just as important as the walls in a HT environment. It especially helps with the center channel.
    There's way too many HT's without regard to the ceiling treatment.

5. Tom Blizzard

Tom Blizzard Stunt Coordinator

These were easy to build and not very expensive. I used them at all points of first reflection........ even the ceiling. Wow what a difference!!!
    http://www.avscience.com/acousticpannel.htm

Any questions: let me know........[​IMG]

Oh, by the way. I did not use the plywood as I found the soft-board (Georgia Pacific calls it Hush-board) had enough strength to support itself.

6. Shawn Keeler

Shawn Keeler Stunt Coordinator

I second what James said. The ceiling is a very over looked reflection point. Out of sight, out of mind, I guess. I am guilty of that, and soon will be addressing the problem. Jeff, it sounds like you have a great start! I have made a "Beginners guide to building Acoustic Panels" if you are interested. http://www.keelercables.com/keeler_theatre.htm

7. Tom Blizzard

Tom Blizzard Stunt Coordinator

Wow Shawn,
    Very, very nice.
    Two questions that I could not find answers to on your site. What is the size of your screen (diagonal measure) and how far back from the screen did you place your first row of chairs??
    Thanks, Tom B.

8. Shawn Keeler

Shawn Keeler Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Tom!! My screen is 92" diagonally. The first row a seats are about 11 feet from the screen.
    Shawn