Room configuration change

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Holadem, Sep 27, 2001.

1. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

My room is about 12x15. acutally, probably even more rectangular than that. The TV is in the middle of the width of the room flanked my the mains (Paradigm Monitor 7) etc... I am thinking of repositioning eveything, mainly have the TV in the middle of the LENGHT of the room. It somehow seems less "natual", but I would like to do that for esthetic and comfort reasons.
    Before I embark in this, do you think it will have any negative effect on the sound (standing waves, etc)? Somehow I feel the room will not be filled as much with sound as it used to be, since there will be a lot of space off axis now. I guess one would say I fear the soundstage (sweet spot?) will shrink considerably.
    What do you think?
    --
    Holadem

2. Tor Arne

Tor Arne Stunt Coordinator

I did the same thing a couple of months ago. I moved my speakers from the short wall to the middle of the long wall. This felt pretty good at once but I soon noticed that certain bass-frequencies were amplified to the extreme. My speakers were positioned with the baffle about 110cm from the wall. My room is 5,5x4,5m. I changed it back a couple of weeks ago and think it sounds much better now with the speakers on the short wall. The sound is much more linear now.
    [Edited last by Tor Arne on September 27, 2001 at 03:38 PM]

3. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Tor, what configuration do you have on your picture?
    Also, I will probably leave the SVS 20-39PC where it is right now, which means it will be on my right in the new config. I guess i will have to get longer coax cables - and in a couple of weeks I will be asking how long can the sub cable be before the sound starts degrading [​IMG]. It never ends...
    --
    Holadem
    [Edited last by Holadem on September 27, 2001 at 03:58 PM]