What's new

room choice for HT (1 Viewer)

downwind4final

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob
My new home offers two room choices for a dedicated home theater/listening room. One of my room choices is downstairs with a concrete foundation, the other is upstairs with wood beam subfloor.
The upstairs room is a more desirable location. How much does having a non-solid floor, like concrete, affect acoustics? I have no interest in anything more than very mild remodeling for the room.

Equipment: (I am a 2.1 fan)

McIntosh MA6900
Sony S9000ES DVD/CD
HP m9040n media center for HD satellite, DVR, music files, and Blu-Ray playback
Madisound/Zaph ZRT 2.5 way kit
Peerless XLS 10 w/ BASH 500w digital plate amps (x2)
Hitachi CP-X445 LCD projector
Da-Lite tensioned 80" screen

mylan

Screenwriter
How much does having a non-solid floor, like concrete, affect acoustics?

Non solid? Concrete is about as solid as you can get.
Concrete will just kill most bass frequencies, requiring you to get a larger sub or put in a "floating floor" like laminate hardwoods before you put carpeting down.
Without loking at the rooms in question, the upstairs would be the better room as far as bass frequencies but that might have complications of its own such as sound transmission to the downstairs living areas, bed rooms, etc.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Use the room that you want to use, and make the audio work in that room!

I don't at all understand the "concrete kills bass" statement. Low bass is likely to go right through a wood floor, losing some oomph by driving a larger space. However, if a vibrating floor is what you want, then I understand the "not on concrete" attitude.

Again, use whichever room you want - you can tweak the sound to get it as good as possible in any space.

mylan

Screenwriter
I'll give you an example, in my old house I had my small-ish Velodyne HGS-10 in a large greatroom over an unfinished basement about ten feet from me in a corner. The sub had much more impact than in my current dedicated HT, which is carpet over concrete, and a smaller room. The greatroom set-up allowed the sub to vibrate the floor and transmit those frequencies to me, the concrete acts like a giant isolator, no floor vibrations mean one less surface for the bass frequencies to propogate outward, its like having a "live" room vs. a "dead" one.
I'm sorry I can't be more technical with my exclaimation but e-mail the guys at SVS, they can explain it better than I can.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have carpet over concrete slab in my room and I can feel the vibrations of the sub just fine. Maybe you need to turn the volume up or get a more capable sub. And it is a very solid slab. I watched it being poured and even half-way through authorized a few more loads of concrete because of the additional footers that the city engineer had the builder dig.

-Robert

mylan

Screenwriter
Yes, I left off that one can overcome anything with more power, a bigger enclosure and a bigger driver, just as NASA can launch a rocket into space with a massive rocket booster but, all things being relative, if I were building the space again, I would lay a subfloor down. In my situation, I cannot turn up the Velo to overcome its environment before it hits the limits of the drivers excursion and amps power ( almost 3000 W peak!). Perhaps I should spend the money on a larger sub?
Enough about me, the OP stated that he wanted a room with minimal changes, I gave him a suggestion, nothing more, that he was leaning towards in the first place, i stand by my suggestion.

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart

Yes, that's what he was trying to say.

How much does having a floor (wood) that's not solid (like concrete) affect acoustics?

I would prefer upstairs (where mine is), but it would also depend on what's beneath that area. My HT is above the garage and adjacent to a game room so it's no big deal. If it was above a bedroom, that might be a different story.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks