What's new

Room at the Top, Secrets & Lies, The Crying Game (1 Viewer)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Does anyone know who has the rights to these titles? I heard that Room was with Criterion; Secrets is a Mike Leigh film and I thought Criterion was releasing them, too.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Does anyone know who has the rights to these titles? I heard that Room was with Criterion; Secrets is a Mike Leigh film and I thought Criterion was releasing them, too.
Criterion has Room At The Top and Secrets And Lies on their streaming channel, so a physical release is always possible.

The Crying Game was (and I presume still is) owned by MGM. I'm not sure if that has changed or not. BFI put out a stellar Blu-Ray in the UK which is from a new 2K scan of the original camera negative.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
US rights to The Crying Game are with Lionsgate and have been so since they merged with Artisan (who distributed the film back when they were still LIVE Entertainment) in the early 2000s.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
US rights to The Crying Game are with Lionsgate and have been so since they merged with Artisan (who distributed the film back when they were still LIVE Entertainment) in the early 2000s.
I stand corrected. I'm thinking of my old MGM UK DVD which I bought many years ago because it was anamorphic and the US DVD wasn't at that time.

714hjfpUlcL._SY445_.jpg

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
There is this region 2 set from UK, relatively new and from BFI, so I imagine it looks very nice.

71zbkj4yJ7L._SY445_.jpg

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I just read that there is a UK release of Room at the Top due in April that uses a BFI transfer/remaster/restoration/whatever. Do you think Criterion will also release?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I just read that there is a UK release of Room at the Top due in April that uses a BFI transfer/remaster/restoration/whatever. Do you think Criterion will also release?

Warren, have you a link to this information? I am unable to find a pre-order (or any Blu-ray release except the Spanish one) on Amazon UK or Amazon Germany. Thanks.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I found this, but no links to the info. April 15th, The first of the British New Wave films, ROOM AT THE TOP (1959), directed by Jack Clayton, stars Laurence Harvey and Simone Signoret in an adaptation of John Braine’s novel that boldly takes on the class system. This World Premiere Blu-ray release marks the film’s 60th anniversary. It's far too early to show up on AmazonUK. I wonder if it's going to be like Tom Jones, BFI in the UK & Criterion in the US.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
"Jack Clayton’s Room At The Top", as it is described on the Film Forum's "Coming Soon" page, will be playing a one week engagement at the Film Forum beginning March 8. In the past this has sometimes been a precursor to a restored bluray release.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I think this is the info I had seen. So i'm hopeful Criterion will release.
I found this, but no links to the info. April 15th, The first of the British New Wave films, ROOM AT THE TOP (1959), directed by Jack Clayton, stars Laurence Harvey and Simone Signoret in an adaptation of John Braine’s novel that boldly takes on the class system. This World Premiere Blu-ray release marks the film’s 60th anniversary. It's far too early to show up on AmazonUK. I wonder if it's going to be like Tom Jones, BFI in the UK & Criterion in the US.

Filmgazer

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Helman
It would be great if Criterion would release Jack Clayton's "Room at the Top" on Blu-ray for its 60th anniversary this year. The two DVDs I have of the film, including the older American release and a more recent one from South Korea, are both non-anamorphic and window-boxed. It sure would be nice to see the film in its proper anamorphic 1.66:1 aspect ratio as seen on TCM.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
It would be great if Criterion would release Jack Clayton's "Room at the Top" on Blu-ray for its 60th anniversary this year. The two DVDs I have of the film, including the older American release and a more recent one from South Korea, are both non-anamorphic and window-boxed. It sure would be nice to see the film in its proper anamorphic 1.66:1 aspect ratio as seen on TCM.
Very nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks