Room Acoustic Treatment Help (reflection points, positioning of rug)

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Thi Them, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Apr 20, 1999
    I recently moved my home theater from the family room into a 10x12' vinyl-tiled bedroom, with the actual theater area being 9 (from left front speaker to the right front one) x 12' (from screen to seat). I tested some DVDs the other day, and the sound is really "lively" compared to the theater's previous location. Mainly, I'd like to reduce the echoes I am experiencing in the bedroom.

I've read of two ways to treat a room for absorption: covering the reflection points or creating a ring around the room near ear level. Which is the better method for me, since I will be watching many movies in 5.1?

As for the floor, I'd like to cover it with a rug. How much of the floor should I cover? There is a bed on the right side of the room, the side of which is 1.5' into the actual theater area near the right front speaker. Should I have the rug go underneath the bed?

2. Ben Mecham

Ben Mecham Agent

Jul 20, 2004
    While I definitely think that it is important to do some acoustic dampening in a room for echo purposes, I think too much can cause an unnatural hush. I would do the rug idea for sure - probably not the whole room though. And the reflection point acoustic panels have a good effect, and are more aesthetically pleasing than a "ring around the room", IMO. I think a lot also depends on the variety and locations of listening positions -- if it is sporadic seating, such as bean bag chairs, etc, then panels on specific reflection points won't be much of a help. On the other hand, if there is just one couch, reflection points can be located rather easily and dampened accordingly.
    Hope this helps,