What's new

Room Acoustic Help (1 Viewer)

erew99

Second Unit
Real Name
Guy
Hello,
I'm trying to cut down on reflections in my room.

I have a 7.1.4 system. For the sides and back walls I'm thinking of using a 1.5" thick mineralwool - 80 (8lbs).

When I do pink noise testing, I can hear the back speakers off the front wall, which totally ruins the effect.

Behind the AT screen, I can put some material, but only 1/2".

Any recommendations on what you would do?

I see 3/8" tiles type absorbers or a rug pad that I could hang on the wall...

Any advice would be appreciated.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I used Insul shield and covered it with fabric out in the room and on the front wall. I also coated the area behind the screen with it. While not pictured in the link below, its available in black. Since its semirigid its easy to work with.
https://www.jm.com/en/building-insu...rglass/insul-shield-unfaced-fiberglass-board/ It is an inch thick, but you could probably split it to use behind the screen.

Here are some photos of the installation on my front wall and behind the screen:
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...-upgraded-to-dolby-atmos.292787/#post-3564504

Rob Sinden

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob Sinden
Room design and treatment can be a real money pit. I hear more “professional designed” rooms where the treatment has done more harm than good.

I think you should start by understanding how the room will change the sound of your speakers. The most obvious problem is their frequency response will be changed so some sounds will be heard much louder than others. Room treatment cannot fix this but room correction can.

The biggest mistake I see is over treatment. If you cover all the walls you’ll make an unnatural sounding space. Bass traps etc. are also very ineffective so I’d avoid these.

If you have a carpeted room with big sofas, often you need no room treatment at all for good results. I’d suggest you install the system with the best correction system you can afford and then see if any treatment is required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks