What's new

ROOM 222: Season Two January 19th (1 Viewer)

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Someone else may have posted this but already but in a press release I remember Shout stating that there would be no more Room 222 releases due to poor sales on Season 2.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Oh well, I guess those old cut USA Network copies will have to do for the last 3 seasons. At least Shout did 2 years anyway.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Frank Soyke

Someone else may have posted this but already but in a press release I remember Shout stating that there would be no more Room 222 releases due to poor sales on Season 2.

Is anyone surprised after the horrible transfers they were given?

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I think there are far bigger reasons why the show didn't sell. Other than the USA run in the mid-80s, the show has not been seen anywhere for over 30 years. Its an intelligent drama and those shows don't do well on DVD. The things that sell seem to be dopey sitcoms, westerns, children's cartoons and scifi. Good drama is just a tough sell. Do you really think if the shows were remastered it would have sold thousands more? A few dozen is more like it, certainly not enough to justify them continuing the releases.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Room 222 was aired for a couple of years on TVLand back in the late 90's.

I didn't really care for it, although I liked the girl teacher and liked the theme music of the introduction.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I love the show. Season two is full of wonderfully-written episodes.

So last night, our family returns from karate class, and we watch the episode "Dreams Of Glory." It was great seeing Chuck Norris in an early television role (perhaps his earliest, excluding films?), and more importantly (to me at least), seeing him in his prime. His speed was amazing. And what was a lot of fun for our children was his emphasis on kata and kions. As an added treat, the kata that was being shown during the episode (one that is similar to Heian Nidan) is one that most of us had just learned within the past few months. That was quite nice! :)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Tell more people to buy S2 and maybe they'll reconsider and come out with another season. But many of the people who think it is "overpriced" likely influenced that decision.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I picked up season one of Room 222 several years back. My memory is that I watched and enjoyed the show when originally broadcast. I was eight when it premiered. Like many I was disappointed by the video quality after watching the first two episodes and put the series aside. I watch on a projection system and while I have many TV series with less than stellar video quality, there must have just been too much competition with other series at the time to give it more of a chance.

Moving forward several years, I setup a media server to give me the flexibility and opportunity of watching more content by using my iPad. I started out by loading up several "B" series and lesser video quality series that have been lower on my priority list, and likely were several years a way from getting a change to be watched in the media room. Room 222 finally hit my radar again and I loaded it up to the server. What a great show. I've been watching two episodes a day for the last week. The quality of the video (damage and softness) just doesn't seem to be an issue for me anymore since watching on the iPad, or i just finally gave it enough of a chance that the quality of the show itself outweighed the video issues. As a result, I quickly went and ordered season two as I will run out of season one episodes soon enough.

I'm sure within a few weeks I will have run through season two as well, and will be one of those wishing for the more seasons. Oh well...at least I had a chance to enjoy some of it again. Too bad the Shout! exclusive program didn't manage to support getting all seasons out. I would have been willing to buy a complete series or individual season releases as part of the exclusive program, even with its higher pricing model.

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
The times I've seen season 3 - 5 episodes on ASPIRE, Fox has given the cable channel equivalent quality, mediocre copies as provided to Shout! for the S1 - 2 DVDs.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
With all of these Fox shows being pulled out of mothballs by Shout!, could Room 222 be brought back?

I wouldn't hold my breath. Shout only sold a few hundred copies of season 2 and they are not interested in continuing. Poor picture quality and very, very low sales means that this show is probably dead and buried on DVD.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I wouldn't hold my breath. Shout only sold a few hundred copies of season 2 and they are not interested in continuing. Poor picture quality and very, very low sales means that this show is probably dead and buried on DVD.

Yeah, they haven't even released the Shout Select second season to all retailers yet the way they did with Rhoda, FKB, Belvedere, Ironside, Simon and Simon, and other online exclusives.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks