Rookie Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MarkS, Oct 9, 2002.

1. MarkS

MarkS Agent

As I mentioned yesterday - I blew the woofer in my D-Box Sub 600. Bravo.

The question I have is about the connection. It only has two wires. I thought a sub had dual voice coils and required a pair of connections.

As I look through PE and MCM catalogs, there are subs with single and dual connections. If I were to buy a PE Tempest, do I just run one set of wires to the dual connections, run a pair of wires to both connections in series or run a pair of wires to both connections in parallel?

Confused, but willing to learn. Thanks.

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Mark,

There are both single and dual voice coil drivers out there for subwoofer use. And before you purchase a driver for your enclosure you really have to make sure that it will work properly in that size enclosure. If you tell us the internal dimensions we might be able to help you out.

The cheapest route might be to just replace the existing driver with the same driver. If you know it's from a specific manufacturer you might be able to purchase it from somewhere other than D-Box. It's probably no more than a $50 unit. See if there's a model number on the side of the driver. If so, you may be able to find a replacement at Parts Express or Madisound.

Brian

3. MarkS

MarkS Agent

Brian -
    Thank-you for the offer.
    D-Box Sub 600 (www.d-box.com)
    Amp: 100 watts rms at 0.04% rated distortion from 20 Hz to 150 Hz
    Inputs: Line level and speaker level high pass filter : active 20 Hz, 12dB per octave second order Butterworth
    Low pass filter : active 24dB per octave second order Butterworth, variable from 50 Hz to 150 Hz and fixed at 300 Hz
    Outputs: Speaker level with passive filter at 85 Hz, 8 ohms
    Cabinet: L 16 D 17 H 22 (large), port is about 3", 57 lbs., front firing vented system
    Subwoofer: 12" Audax, 4 ohm, single speaker connection, 2" voice coil, QTS .25, Vmax 13mm (that's all the speaker specs they would provide). Magnet looks like about 30 ounces or so, stamped frame.
    The replacement driver from D-Box is about $120. I think I can do much better for less money.
    Plug in the numbers and please make some replacement driver suggestions. Thank-you all so very much!
    -mbs

4. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

5. MarkS

MarkS Agent

Mark -

Thanks for the recommendation.

Have some questions/concerns.

This is a 8 ohm sub - won't I lose about half my amp power compared to the current 4 ohm sub I have?

The Xmax is almost half what I have today.

Did you plug this in to some modeling tool or is this just a recommendation from what you have had success with in the past?

-mbs

6. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

1) You don't have enough power to hit x-max in that enclosure. Vmax is not x-max, x-max on that driver is more like 5-6 mm, I looked up all the audax 12" driver in my DB and NONE of them were over 7 mm. Vmax is the maximum travel of the cone both ways.
    2) You may not be able to tell the difference with the 8 ohm speaker you are talking about less than 3 dB if any at all because you don't know how efficient the old driver is.
    3) I used Bass box pro to model assuming it had 3/4" panels on your dimensions and the plate amp took up 2" of the rear interior space.