What's new

Rookie needs sub help. (1 Viewer)

I have been following the Subsonic 6i thread with much enthusiasm. I have been intrigued for some time with the Subsonic 6i due to the review by TN in S&V. I am currently without a sub and will be looking to get one next month. The room I will be using the sub in is quite different from the smaller room that James Edward has. It is 16x19x10 with openings in every corner and extends into the kitchen 13x19x10. The kitchen is the only room that has a closed corner and is not an option for sub placement. I have thick carpet and big leather couches in the family room. I have smaller satellites Dyn 42's to blend with. My choices for a sub are the VTF-3, one of the 12 inch SVS subs, and the PSB Subsonic 6i. I feel I will need a sub that can produce plenty of spl. The subsonic 6i sounds like an awesome sub but will it be enough for my open room?

I am a rookie to HT and my wife is not as sympathetic to my new found obsession. Ordering the subs one by one may be a little hard for the home life.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I am a rookie to HT and my wife is not as sympathetic to my new found obsession. Ordering the subs one by one may be a little hard for the home life.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
__________________________________________________ _____

Do it good and right the first time and get it over with. If your going to have a tiff with the wife? You might as well have it over a sub that will serve you long term and serve you well.

If you go the SVS rout, one good suggestion would be the SVS PB12-Plus/2. New finishes will be available in the future also.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
steve is right. your wife will get over it. here is a funny story.......

when I purchased my SVS 25_32PC+ it arrived. wife never knew anything about it. then one day 2 months later she asked what the SVS was ? I said a sub and told her its been there for 2 months.... old news! she didnt believe me and called me a liar. truth is it was there sitting here for 2 months and she never noticed it sitting in the corner. I always thought that was funny.

she was not happy with it and thought it was too big and cost too much. I heard grief for a while for it but she got over it.

truth is guys. dont be bullied by your wife. you live there too and deserve to buy yourself something nice. do we gripe about the money spent and closets full of cloths and even more closets full of shoes ? no! we accept it cause thats the way it is and if we dont like it too bad. right ? right! same way for HT. :)

another thought.... did you get married to be told what you can and cannot do or buy? no! remember guys, we didnt marry to marry our mom. take a stand! trust me they get over it.

if your wife has only HT to complain about then she is lucky! alot of guys get into alot more trouble than that. she should be happy your home and have a hobby. :)

Girish

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
girish
Tell her that we share responsibilities in the household
I take care of the BIGGER things-- Electronics, football, politics etc
SHE takes care of SMALLER things---- dinner, laundry, vacuuming etc
As a nice understanding wife she will appreciate that.

Dr. Anthony Rosalia

Stunt Coordinator
Korey

I got married over 2 years ago and love it. Given I have known her for almost 13 years in dating (yeah commitment problem :)) it took me a while. You have to stand your ground for what you want and make a valid argument (or discussion as I like to call it ;)). It's all give and take. She has other rooms in the house I have no say over...I got dibs on the the living room and my office/rec room :) The rest of the house is hers.

Girish

I think if I said that to my wife I would get b-slapped something awful ;) I hate the couch lol. Been there done that. :D

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
You guys are scaring me about marriage.
__________________________________________________ ____

In some ways you have good reason to be.:) It is a good thing though.

Story time (WAF)>> Lets see what did I have at the time. O yes it was the WM-40 teamed up with the mighty Kenwood 8" SW305. I had been aching to upgrade and subsequently picked up the 15" Velodyne ct-150. I knew I was on shakey ground, so I thought I would just slide out the WM-40 and put the ct in it's place. I nervously did so with the thought in mind that maybe Jody (wife) wouldn't notice. I didn't really have allot of hope to be honest though. We're talking size difference here.

Sure as heck if she didn't come home and not notice. I saw her look right at it. As the day moved forward the kids came home from school and I and jody were sitting in the living-room going over what-ever. On come my daughters and the youngest says "Hey Dad! Thats new and bigger isn't it!!" If my wifes face would have gotten any redder it would have exploded like in the Matrix:laugh:

She gave me the ultimatum> The sub goes or I'm leaving for the weekend. I kind of thought that would be rather nice considering I had a big weekend planed for movies with my new toy. I did feel bad for troubling her though. In the end I told her to have a great time and enjoy herself ;) She then backed out and said the sub has to go to the den. I think to myself> Mmmm- thats goanna be hard, but if it helps her save face I'll make the sacrifice.

2 weeks latter the sub was out of lock-up and a 2nt ct-150 was added.> But then thats another story and many more subs to follow...Big block AV-15 was the next fight. We just celabrated our 20th:)

James has been very gracious.:emoji_thumbsup:

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I hear alot of guys talk about sleeping on the couch when in trouble. well I own the bed too and I would never sleep anywhere else no matter how mad she is. too bad for her. lol :)

I have been married for 9 years but we have been together for 17. yes commitment problems here too and I should have listened to my gut feelings that it was wrong. the marriage storys scared me and they should have. plain and simple.... I would never get married again. :)

you should be affraid. to be honest I think women are lucky to get us to marry them. if it were up to men you think we would be married ? no! if it were true we would stay home with our moms. hahahahaha :) lol

woman ask to much of us. we are simple and dont ask for anything. woman expect and ask to much. honestly guys, we put up with alot of BS with them. :)

no woman should tell you what you can and cannot do. they can try but it never worked with me. it took a while but the wife finally understands HT. it took a long time. but now she enjoys the HT and the living room I put together. she loves the living room. I bought a Sony Wega 36XBR800 with matching stand.... she hated how much it cost. but now she loves it and everynight says she does, this is after a year of owning it.

you can always tell them how much your stuff will always have worth but her cloths and shoes will never be able to trade or trade in for something else when its time to upgrade. :)

you got to stand your ground and make sure if she gets all the closets you get a basement or den or both. :) just like the good Dr. said.

good sub story steve. tell me that is not funny when they dont notice a big ass new sub...lol my kids noticed it right away but I managed to have them keep quiet about it and let mommoy find out for herself. qhen 2 months passed and she finally noitced it was really funny. she still does not believe me and thinks I had the kids up to lying to her. :) hahahahaha lol

woman dont notice new HT equipment just like we dont notice new shoes. for all we know they have been in the closet forever.

tell ya what. If I were not married I would have way more better things than I have now. so I am thoughtful. :)

It is funny how different men and women are. If I were still a bachelor I would have no nice furniture or pretty little things all around the house.

I had to buy a $3000 Entertainment Center in order to rearrange the room to accomodate my HT. I don't even have 3k invested in my sound yet :frowning: Yet buying furniture and decorations for the house until there is barely room to walk is ok. One more pair of shoes to go with the 200 she already has is ok too.

My wife tells me we should upgrade the house or do other things with the money rather than spend it on HT. Geez when does it end !

She will be surprised when a 25-31pc plus water heater looking sub that does not blend with anything in the house arrives at our door. She will get over it though. A few nights sleeping in the guest room will be well worth it :D

I haven't ordered the sub yet but will next month when I get my bonus. That is the deal the wife and I have. I am pretty much decided now on the 25-31 pc plus. The wife will have just have to learn to live with it. I hope. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks everyone for the stories and advice. :)

Jon W.

Stunt Coordinator
Ralph B I agree totally with you. It makes me so mad every time I read a thread on here about getting wimpy speakers because of WAF. I keep my mouth shut to avoid making someone mad but I always want to post. I buy it, put it in its place and then welcome the fireworks. We can argue till the sun comes up but my equipment is not going anywhere!

You nailed it right there man. My Den is all I have, I can't even have a garage for her piling it full of house decorating crap that she is tired of. I have to defend my den every stinking day too. She moves some piece of furniture in it or replaces my Ducati model with a freakin' picture of us. I don't wanna look at us, leave my freakin' Ducati ALONE! Jeez it ain't like I move her shoes and FREAKIN' CANDLES, OH MY GOD THE CANDLES!!!! ... (passes out)

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
james let us know how it works out.

Jon: damn! a real man!!! so few of us. most guys give in and become a woman with the wife. I too read in disgust when I hear the WAF in a thread. HT is not about WAF. mostly its a mans hobby and the woman on here in the hobby or like it, well I just wish they were my wife. lol :)

men should not roll over for what keeps them out of trouble and gives them the only fun they own. why do woman want to make us miserable ? I dont know, who knows why they want to marry us only to become our moms or hate us later and all for being ourselves. lol :)

funny thing is they marry us because of who we are. sad thing is they divorce us for being the same man 10years 20 years...etc later. lol hahahahaha

lets get it straight. men dont change. we are creatures of habit and like things the same. woman read mags and want to change or "become more mature" and outgrow us or try and change us. zzzzzz, jeez..... woman plain and simple are not happy unless miserable. for the most part.

no WAF men. just let them know there are worst things you could be doing. if all she has to complain about is your HT hobby she should consider herself happy. but we all know there is no way of satisfying a woman. when you do there is the next thing they need. I always say woman are alot like cats. they want to be held and patted and told they are pretty. its always about them, no ? lol :)

Jon said it. buy it and bring on the fireworks! woman get over it. god Jon, the boxes of old stuff.... and yes the damn candles. you know how much yankee candles cost ????? add that up over a year and she has a pile of melted wax and you have a room full of expensive things that can always be traded in. :)

my wife knows better than to come down the cellar and move anything in the HT. she wont touch a thing down there.

be men and stop being wimpy. just think. if you were single there would be no argument and if you wanted it , it would be home by now. no ? :) just buy! :)

I think the HTspot has a WAF forum. dont try and post over there about being your own man and buying HT. those guys are converted. lol :)

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I dont allow pictures of myself with my wife or family. you wont find one in the house with me in it. If I want to look at a relection of my ugly mug I will go look in the mirror. never liked self portraits in your own house. always seemd weird to me. pics of your kids are cool, but of you and the wife. i guess i am not vain enough to be looking at a picture of myself. lol :)

Jon W.

Stunt Coordinator
Right on brother Ralph! My wife told me yesterday that she wanted new dishes. Our dishes are like a year old and they all match and none of them are broken! What is the point? Just because you want a new design on them? They're PLATES!

What bothers me most are friends at work who pay all the bills while their wives don't work and they have joint checking and are afraid to buy a $40.00 knife because of what their wife will say when she sees the bank statement. (this actually happened)

Don't be afraid to get married, just stand your ground from day one and never let up. I have been married 7 years now and every year has gotten easier. Of course you have to give them their freedom to buy freakin candles or you are destined for divorce!:D

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
Jon: thank god my wife doesnt want new dishes. we have all designer dish crap and all matching or whatever. thank god she is happy with them...lol

I have friends like that too. its sad really! poor guys pay for everything and take care of the family and cant even spend their own money. my wife and I have seperate accounts. always been that way and always will be. no woman is gonna tell me what to do with money I make! no frigging way.

stand your ground is right. I hope this helps other guys cause I hate to see a man affraid of his wife. My wife is the toughest woman you will meet, but she met her match when she met me. :)

yes, let them continue their spending on useless worthless crap. atleast out stuff is worth something and good for trade in on something new.

trick is ? marry a woman that makes more than you. I would never marry a woman that is not educated and does not make her own money. hey woman do it! whats good for them is good for me. my woman makes 3 times what I do. do I ever see a cent ? nope! do I buy everything ? yes! no matter what a woman makes they still expect you to pay for everything. what twisted thinking, eh ? lol :)

stephanX

Stunt Coordinator
You guys have all left one "easy way out" out of the picture

If you really are TOO familiar with the couch, and your wife is too set against that "big" 6 cu ft "monster" of a thing in the corner....just leave the credit card on top

Hell im 14 and even I know this.

OR, just calculate how much cu.ft her clothes and shoes take up and do a little comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks