1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Rookie Needs Help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Larry Rankine, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Larry Rankine

Larry Rankine Auditioning

I've got several questions so please bear with me. Santa was very good to me this year. In the form of a 51" Hitachi HD RPTV. My oldest son and his wife bought me a DVD player (my first one) and here (I think) is where my questions/troubles begin. It's an off brand progressive scan model (Memorex). I started out using the progressive scan and found that I couldn't obtain acceptable results with dark scenes. No matter what I did to the video controls of the TV you couldn't see any detail in dark scenes. Thinking it was a TV calibration problem (which I've read is something you should do anyway) I've scheduled a professional to come out and do that. Well, I tryed the player without PS and now those scenes are fine. As a matter of fact the overall quality of all playback seems better. What's the problem with the PS mode? Will a professional calibration fix that or is it the quality (or lack thereof)of the DVD player?

2. Scott McC.

Scott McC. Stunt Coordinator

i haven't heard much good stuff about memorex, I'd just buy a panny CP-72 (same "guts" as the RP-82, a legend, but with a 5 disc changer), a good T.V. should have a good DVD player to match, and the memorex's aren't letting it live up to its full potential.

3. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Larry,
    Don't know what model Hitachi you have, but I had last year's 53uwx10b for a few weeks. Buried somewhere in the advanced video adjustments was a "black level enhancement" or similar sounding item. This seemed to make blacks too black on some sources.

Generally progressive scan players use 0ire for minimum black level in progressive mode (Japanese NTSC standard for how black black is) and 6.5 ire for interlaced output. I think the black enhancement setting on the tv was to shift between the two black level standards. If you haven't already played with this on the tv you might try changing this setting on the tv. Having this turned on on the tv with progressive scan input might be "doubling up" on the black level and causing your problem.

This is all theory on my part, of course.

4. Larry Rankine

Scott/Steve,
    Thanks for your input. The TV model I have is the 51SWX20B. And unfortunately I'm afraid I'm stuck with this player for awhile. I can't (in good conscience) go ditching a gift from my son and daughter-in-law weeks after receiving it. [​IMG] I'm hoping that this TV calibration I've got scheduled will help. If not at least the TV will be calibrated and I can live without the PS mode since I haven't yet "tasted" the difference. If anyone else out there has any explanation why PS mode is not as good as "normal" mode on this DVD player/TV combo please jump in here.
    Larry

5. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Larry,
    No explanation, but I will say that, on my Toshiba 42H81, the difference between progressive and interlaced DVD output was minimal. Interlaced looked more vivid, actually, and it was only on certain material that I noticed an improvement with progressive. (i.e., Shakespeare in Love, a brocade vest on one character shimmered in interlaced mode but was much more stable in progressive.)
    I adjusted the color for the progressive output (which made interlaced a bit too intense) and left it at that.
    In your case, I'd just watch interlaced and not worry about it until the DVD player, oh, falls down the stairs somehow. [​IMG]
    Jan

6. Larry Rankine

Jan,
    Great advice for the time being, thanks! [​IMG] It just amazes me that progressive scan is said to be the "best thing" to have in DVD players if you want "the best" picture on a high quality TV. However in practice (in my case at least)the opposite seems to be true. I guess I'm also looking for some reassurance that when that fateful day comes and the player gets hit by lightening as it's falling down the stairs [​IMG] I won't be wasting my $ on a "high quality" DVD player that yields similiar results. Any thoughts?
    Larry

7. GaryEW

GaryEW Auditioning

When you send a 480i signal to an HDTV set the TV uses its own deinterlacing and line doubling circuitry to give you a 480p signal. In your case it sounds like the progressive scan circuitry in your set is much better than the circuitry in your dvd player.
    Here is a great in depth article on this issue: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...e-10-2000.html

8. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

See thats just the problem, progressive is much better than interlaced.... BUT the only tv's that can take a progressive scan (to my knowledge) are tv's that already ahve line doublers in them, so you aren't really comparing PS to Interlaced, you are comparing PS to somethign better than interlaced.
    hope this makes sense. (cause i know it confuses me soemtimes [​IMG]