What's new

Rookie H/T Setup (1 Viewer)

MikePace

Auditioning
I wanted to Get a new home theater setup for my room which is probably like 11x16 maybe alittle bigger,my listening habits is 40% Music and 60% Movies,so i was wondering if the level 3 subwoofer and main speakers from htdaudio.com would sound really good with the oknyo(refurbished) TX-SR500,i want to spend around 600 for the front speakers and powered sub,and around 250 for the reciever,if anyone has suggestions.Would This be a good setup for my room?

Thanks in Advance
Mike

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
I have had the Level 2 set hooked up to that same receiver for a couple of years and have been very happy with them.

I use this setup in an 8x12 dorm and 12x14 room at home. While the receiver does not go quite as loud as many others, it goes above tolerable volumes for me in both rooms while keeping a consitentantly good quality (IMHO, better than that of other receivers I listened to in the price range).

The speakers sound much better than comperably priced speakers at retail. However I haven't heard other mail order speakers such as Ascend or Axiom so I don't know how the HTDs compare to those brands. It was not having to risk shipping charges if I didn't like the HTDs that got me to give them a try, and I don't think many other companies have that kind of policy.

If I understand correctly, you are planning to get a sub and two mains. With movie watching being a significant part of your use, I would definetly recommend getting a center channel as well, because dialog in movies just sounds downright strange coming from two speakers with any descent amount of space between them.

I also have not heard the Level 3 set, so I don't know how much better it is than the Level 2. While having back speakers for movies is a major enhencement, I don't think it falls into the same necessity level as a center speaker does. In any case, this may factor into your decision since the complete Level 2 set will fit within your $600 speaker budget.

If this is a system for the long haul though, I'd recommend building up with better speakers as your budget allows (ie Level 3 fronts and sub now, Level 2 or 3 for surrounds later if you feel the need).

I hope this has helped you a bit. Best of luck with your purchase.

MikePace

Auditioning
thank u for the information,i really appreciate it,i did a search on the forum and i saw a thread that had a review ont he level 3 and said the subwoofer is kinda weak,do u think u can provide a better alternative,i was thinking of doing a do it urself shiva enclosure for the powered sub,or maybe u can recommend a better sub,also u said that the reciever doesnt go well will the speakers,can u suggest a better reciever in my price range

Thanks
Mike

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
u said that the reciever doesnt go well will the speakers
If I gave you that impression, my appologies. I think the Onkyo and the HTDs go very well together.

In terms of receivers, I didn't find anything in the sub $300 range that was as good as the Onkyo. I listened to some Sony, Panasonic, and Pioneer receivers in that price range, and found they just sounded more distorted even at lower volumes.

As far as the sub goes, I didn't hear anyhing for less than $300 at retail that didn't either lack power or sound boomy. I don't know anything about DIY, so I can't really recommend a better sub at that price either.

While I have not found the Level 2 sub to be either incredibly tight nor incredibly powerful, it doesn't sound boomy either, and provides sufficient output for the rooms I use it in. I'd imagine the Level 3 is not any worse in those regards.

However, keep in mind that the last time I was really comparing stuff in this price range was a couple of years ago, so it is possible things have changed since then.

MikePace

Auditioning
im back i was thinking of this setup as my final setup to go with
this sub av123.com/products_produ...ers&product=2.1

these speakers htdaudio.com/levthremains.html

and this reciever dealtime.com/xPF-Denon_AVR_1604

what do u think
sorry i cant post links yet

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
From experience with the HTD brand, I would definetly recommend them, especially since you don't even risk shipping charges to try them.

I haven't listened to any of the Denon receivers, but have have seen that brand recommended its fair share in the Forum as a good receiver in that price range (where as the Sony receivers below the ES line have a bad rep).

Haven't heard anything about the sub, but on paper I guess it looks good for the price (although I haven't noticed a huge correlation between paper specs and quality with speakers and receivers).

If you will have to incur some risk to try equipment (such as return shipping or restocking fees), definetly get at least a few opinions. Especially with speakers, opinions are very subjective (some like their mains bright, some like them warm; some would prefer their subs be powerful rather than tight if they had to pick).

Hopefully some people who have the Rocket ELT-1 SW-10 Subwoofer will chime into this thread so you can get some opinions of it (or you can post a thread asking about it compared to other subs in the price range).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks