What's new

Rookie BFD question...Bandwidth? (1 Viewer)

Chris Hussak

Auditioning
After reading for months how great the BFD worked I finally pulled the trigger and order one about a 1 1/2 months ago...it finally came! :D
I understand how to dial in on a specific frequency but what exactly does the "Bandwidth" control do and can you give me a real life example of how to use it?
Thanks in advance!!
Chris

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
The bandwidth contol adjusts how wide the notch or boost is. I believe the best way to think about it's use is to ask the question do you have a real sharp spike you want to reduce, or is it spread out over a wider freqeuncy range.
I realize this answer is a bit superficial. There are people on this forum who understand octaves, etc., much better than I, so hopefully someone will jump in with more useful information.
You made a wise choice with the BFD.
Deane

Dax Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,
Deane is correct. To give you an example of how it works, if you were going to center a filter at 50 Hz with a 4/60 octave bandwidth, you'd be filtering frequencies in the range from 49-51 Hz. If you center a filter at 50Hz with a 20/60 octave bandwidth, you'd be filtering frequencies in the range from 45-55 Hz. (These numbers are only an example - they may not be accurate, but at least you get the idea)
The frequency range that corresponds to 1/60 octave bandwidth varies depending on where you center the filter. The chart that comes with the BFD can help you figure out what works best for you. I also found the software that can be downloaded from Behringer's website to be helpful for visualizing the effects of different bandwidths. It's supposed to be used to program the BFD via your computer instead of the buttons on the BFD, but the graphic representation of the filters was very useful by itself.
Hope that helps a little - if you need more help, ask away!

Chris Hussak

Auditioning
Deane and Dax,
Thanks for the great info..I really didn't know what to make of that chart they included with BFD so I used it as a drink coaster
blush.gif
!!
That software looks interesting...do you need to have the BFD hooked to your pc for it to function or are you using it just for the "graphical" view it gives of your setting?
Chris

Dax Scott

Stunt Coordinator
No PC connection is required to use the software for the "visual" part. I only used the software to help me visualize my settings, and it helped quite a bit. It's hard to figure out how much two overlapping filters will sum or cancel each other without a visual tool like this.
I know that at least one HTFer hooked up a computer and used the software to change the settings. I found that the dials and buttons on the BFE were simple enough that buying a MIDI cable wasn't worth it.

Dax Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Paul,
Not sure if this is the one you're talking about, but I found this post from a while back that discusses it.
Either way you decide to set it up, the BFD sure is a nifty way to tame the bass in your HT. Definitely worth twice the asking price in my room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks