Rooftop Owners to Pay Cubs

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Paul_Sjordal, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Paul_Sjordal

Paul_Sjordal Supporting Actor

2. Mike_Stuewe

Mike_Stuewe Stunt Coordinator

Thats stupid. If they want to keep rooftop owners from being able to have people over to watch the game, then put up walls. Its their fault the built the stadium that way. Why the rooftop owners have to pay a cut makes no sense to me.

3. Colin Davidson

Colin Davidson Second Unit

This would seem to have all kinds of weird implementations...

If you stand outside a hall where there is a rock concert and hear the music should you be required to buy a ticket?

If you live behind the drive-in and can see the screen from your house should you have to pay for every showing of the movie that is playing?

I could think of many others but you get my drift...

Surprised that the building owners didn't band together and tell them to pound sand!

4. Paul_Sjordal

You guys can be excused for not living in Chicago and knowing the situation.

This isn't some guy with an apartment in a tall building inviting a few friends over to watch the game. These are big businesses with anual revenues in the tens of millions. Wrigley Field is practically surrounded by buildings taller than it and they all have giant stadium-style bleachers on the rooftops, with all the expected amenities (food, beer, etc.).

You also can't say "Well it's the Cubs fault for building their stadium that way." The stadium is very old and this wasn't a forseeable issue back when it was built. The Cubs tried to modify the stadium to block the view of these people, but because they are powerful and connected businesses, they've managed to strong-arm the city into not allowing these changes to Wrigley (this is the same city that allowed eyesore modifications to Soldier Field, but that's another story).

5. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

I just went to the Shedd Aquarium and the cab driver called the new stadium the "space shuttle". Very bizzare, but looks like it has enough box seats to bring in huge $$$.

What is the view of Wrigley from one of those rooftops ? I imagine it's probably pretty far away... Complimentary binoculars ?

6. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

No it's not far away at all because Sheffield and Waveland are typical neighborhood street.

In fact I've sat farther away from the action even when I've had a seat inside the ballpark in Oakland.

7. Paul_Sjordal

You know what's sad? They added that humongous eyesore, violated a designated historical site, and it seats fewer people than before. So now the Bears make more money per game, but fewer Chicagoans get to see each Bears game and a beautiful building has been turned into a scar on the lakefront.

8. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

If the building(s) owner(s) pay the team off, it will certainly show up in higher leases for the companies inside.

I can see a few waving goodbye as they leave.

All in all, business or just n apartment, if a tennant didn't like sports at all and their rents went up I hope they put up a good scream about it.

Isn't this like free air space? If they don't want anybody to see what is going on inside then they should just put a roof on it. They can raise the ticket prices and see how much the fans like it.

Glenn

9. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Interesting Paradox. The Cubs are providing a method for these companies to generate large revunue. I don't imagine the building owners are advertising "Cubs Games" or any other trademarked terms, so it seems to come down to a matter of airspace.

If you can see something, is that view yours to sell ?

Ex: If I own a helicopter and someone pays me 10k to hover above the stadium for 2 hours, do I owe the Cubs a percentage ? Do the news crews pay the Cubs ? (probably are for the re-broadcast of certain plays for the sportscast).

10. Paul_Sjordal

Maintaining a stadium and a professional baseball team is awfully expensive. If a company puts up the enormous expense of maintaining said baseball team and stadium, then I think they have a reasonble expectation to be the ones earning profit on "eyeball time."

Your helicopter example probably isn't earning enough money to be worth this kind of hoopla in the first place. [​IMG]

This is stealing, and it is intended to be stealing, plain and simple. If these rooftop bleacher owners weren't blocking the Cubs' attempts to modify the stadium to put a stop to this, I might be less sympathetic to the Cubs' management. They are doofuses after all.

11. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

The article was not too clear, has it been documented that lobbyists for the landlords have successfully blocked the Cubbie's proposals to modify the stadium ? Seems like a lot of power for landlords of empty buildings.

Oh well, it is Chi-Ca-Go - Da Bears !

(what am I saying - Go Pats !!!! - never forget...)

12. Paul_Sjordal

Not documented, no. I haven't paid attention to this issue in a long time.

The whole battle over changing Wrigley Field to block the view of the "bleacher thieves" has been raging for years now. Last I heard, the "bleacher thieves" had successfully blocked the Cubs' move to modify the stadium. If you're wondering how this is possible, Chicago politics are amazingly corrupt (want proof? Go look at Soldier Field). Whoever greases the right palms bigger, better and faster gets what they want.

From what I gather, the Cubs are still fighting this, but you'll notice that no such plans have been announced yet, so we can assume they continue to lose that fight.

13. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

Yes, more laws should be passes to ensure corporate profits [​IMG]