What's new

Ron's Topic on Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Could someone post a link for me to Ron's overview of the blu-ray presentation of Lawrence of Arabia? I'd like to show it to my Producing Sound & Picture class.

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
I'd just like to sit back and quietly reflect on the fact that we're starting to make topics to talk about topics here at HTF...

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Perfect, thank you.
I was furiously searching for Blu-Ray, and even cross referencing Ron's name, but alas this didn't come up for me.

I was specifically wanting to share Ron's assertion that Blu-Ray represents a more significant leap than DVD from VHS.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I think it would be more correct to say that the POTENTIAL of BluRay represents that. I was at the same presentation as Ron and I can assure you that it was quite impressive. However, the tech that is required to add the features like overlay video and backend ordering systems etc is ALSO a commensurate leap, and its not clear just how well embraced those will be, or how hard it will be to QA and debug them, or whether they will introduce privacy issues that shot down the original DIVX.

I'm hugely excited by BluRay and hope it steamrolls HDDVD before there is even a contest, but it is no slam dunk. Studios and Manufacturers have killed many wonderful technologies by adding things that have THEIR best interests at heart and not those of the consumer. It remains to be seen how well BluRay does in this area.

Sam

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Reading Rons statement again I see he was specifically mentioning video quality. Again, that is hard to say as we were watching a projector that costs 30k and boasts a resolution (1080P) that basically no other consumer level PJ today can touch, AND the DVD portions we were watching had been upsourced to 1080p as opposed to showing in their native resolution. Very impressive.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I'm just glad Blu-ray will be spitting out a 1080p signal. Gives me warm fuzzies for when Sony releases an affordable Qualia, or just anyone who can make an inexpensive LCOS chip. Interlaced should die already. :angry:

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member

I understand what you are saying, but in order to acheive the full potential of DVD, one must own a widescreen hi-def TV to take advantage of 480p and anamorphic features. This is no different from the additional hardware requirements to acheive the full benefit of Blu-Ray. True, many people will watch Blu-Ray on a standard hi-def TV. I think this generation of A/V technology proves that there are enough early adopters out there to drive these kinds of technologies, and to assure that the hardware and content providers do their jobs properly.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Depends on how fast it scales. When DVD players launched there were quite a few options for getting a 480p display. At under $5k even.

When Bluray launches it is conceivable that the Qualia will represent the available 1080p market and still be north of $20k.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks