Ronald Haver King Kong Commentary

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
This is supposed to be the very first commentary ever on a Criterion laser disc. I've never owned a LD player but would like to listen to this commentary. Has it been published since the original laser disc?

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Real Name
Matt Hough
I can't answer your question, but I did want to comment that he also did a fantastic commentary for Criterion's laserdisc release of Singin' in the Rain which has never been duplicated on subsequent Warner DVDs or Blu-rays of the movie. It is FAR superior for a film buff than the commentary presently on that commercial Blu-ray release, so I suspect the same is true of his King Kong commentary.

I did once hear Haver's Singin' in the Rain commentary on the alternate audio channel during a TCM broadcast instead of the audio descriptive track they now use.

Reactions: Mark Walker

Dick

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I can't answer your question, but I did want to comment that he also did a fantastic commentary for Criterion's laserdisc release of Singin' in the Rain which has never been duplicated on subsequent Warner DVDs or Blu-rays of the movie. It is FAR superior for a film buff than the commentary presently on that commercial Blu-ray release, so I suspect the same is true of his King Kong commentary.

I did once hear Haver's Singin' in the Rain commentary on the alternate audio channel during a TCM broadcast instead of the audio descriptive track they now use.
The Haver commentary was never carried over to any releases after the Criterion laser disc. I have an archival copy of that commentary. If interested, PM me.

Reed Grele

Screenwriter
Supporter
Real Name
Reed Grele
I bought the first pressing Criterion KING KONG (CAV) with the Haver commentary in 1984. Sold it for big bucks back in the late 90's when DVD had just debuted and LD's were still a hot item.

Sold about half of my LD collection back then as well. Then, when the big dump came, and LD's were selling for ten cents on the dollar, I bought back most of the titles that I sold.

Most of the ones I replaced are still sealed. Including this:

20161211_023621~2.jpg

20161211_023509~2.jpg

Although still sealed, I had listened to Mr, Haver's commentary many times when I had it the first time around. My LD players still work. And one of these days I'll open it and give it a spin.

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Real Name
Matt Hough
The late Ron Haver did such wonderful commentaries. The one on SIngin' in the Rain laser I much prefer to the one available on the Blu-ray.

Reactions: Will Krupp

telzall

Stunt Coordinator
second star to the right; straight on til morning
Real Name
joe
Thanks, for posting this commentary!! I remember this commentary being one of the few I could stand. Not sure there are many more as good. Perhaps, it’s because there aren’t many movies as good. His enthusiasm during the Kong/Tyrannosaurus fight was/is delightful!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bats8711