What's new

Ronald......have you ever done LD reviews for HTF........ (1 Viewer)

Brett C

Second Unit
I'll always second the opinion of Laserdisc having better better audio,there is no competition there period in my opinion...Though in DVDs defense it is superior picturewise...

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
Take that with a huge grain of salt!
It's funny how with every LD thread that this nonesense has to come up.
No I don't think Ron did any LD reviews in this site before,nor he's planning any time soon[or ever].
Lewis, with a good LD in 1.33:1 - 1.85:1 on a tube TV and with a good ld player you can many times not see the difference between it and the DVD. And with a really great player you can blow up the picture a lot bigger and get great picture, as good as the DVD version. Plus you have superior sound in PCM, IMNSHO! So please look at your "facts" again.

Lee_eel

Second Unit
Why use the worst case scenario to compare LD to DVD.

For example comparing non anamorphic dvd to LD. The majority of dvds are now anamorphic (about 95%) A well mastered anamorphic dvd will blow Ld out of the water, no doubt about that. As for sound pcm doesn't always beat DD 5.1 dvd soundtracks! I dare say some Laser discs look as good as non-anamorphic but there are not many top titles that are in this format anymore! Give up the ghost guys, its time to say goodbye to LD!

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Lee,

As for sound pcm doesn't always beat DD 5.1 dvd soundtracks!
You need to go back and read Matt's post again. He did not say PCM always beats DD 5.1. He said uncompressed PCM beats DD 2.0 and every now and again a 5.1 track.

It's all opinion of course. Why can't people let others like what they like?

Lee_eel

Second Unit
So how about comparing a dvd dts soundtrack to a pcm laserdisc soundtrack? does Ld still sound better? I don't think so!

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Lee,
I think you're missing the point. Besides, you also just opened up another can of worms mentioning dts. There are those who think DD is just as good or better.
So how about comparing a dvd dts soundtrack to a pcm laserdisc soundtrack? does Ld still sound better? I don't think so!
And as from what I have read in this thread no one has said otherwise. But for an apples to apples comparison how about DD 5.1 on the Phantom Menace LD vs DVD. I have no numbers to prove it but it seems that most people that have heard both prefer the LD.
But that is neither here nor there. I prefer DVD as an overall format myself. But there is some merit to laser discs.
The sound, whether you think it is better or not, is not bad.
The video, whether you think it is better or not, is not bad.
Movies are generally cheaper on LD.
There are many movies on Laser Disc that are not available on DVD. For instance, I just ordered up Noises Off on laser disc. It is probably the funniest movie I have ever seen. But it's not available on DVD. And If I were to buy an unopened copy on VHS it would run me $100. But the laser disc shipped to me is $18. I call that a HUGE benefit.
The way I read it, the supporters of LD in this thread seem to be saying that laser disc has some good points and it's really not all that bad. And sometimes a movies laser disc version is better than it's DVD counterpart.
Then the DVD diehards come in and say "take that with a grain of salt" "it's nonsense" "you're speaking rubbish" etc..etc..
Again, the way I see it in this thread, the laser disc supporters like both formats and feel that there are times that LD betters dvd. The dvd fanatics say its B.S. and that all laser discs suck compared to dvd. Speaking purely of the attitudes and ways the opinions are presented, if I were to form an opinion solely based on this thread I would never buy a dvd again. Thank God I know better though. ;)
Regards,
Dan Hine

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
I dare say some Laser discs look as good as non-anamorphic but there are not many top titles that are in this format anymore! Give up the ghost guys, its time to say goodbye to LD!
Now I wonder, have you seen LD at it most? As the picture quality is rather BIG between the lesser player and the high-end ones. I have seen LD's that look better than the DVD and I'm not joking. Okej, a great made DVD should and will be better but as I have told before I am NOT interested in hollywood blockbusters from the last 10-15 years.

But if you still say that DVD is better, it has the better specs, WHY DON'T YOU ALL BUY PAL DVD'S WITH 20% MORE RESOLUTION??!!!

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
As an owner of both DVDs and LDs, I thought I might chime in with my .02

I thought I might offer up some my own... "facts"

1. PCM is better than DD 2.0
2. Comparing an LD picture with an un-anamorphic DVD yeilds various results.

All things being equal, the results are mainly dictated by the quality of the player. (example: THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER)

3. When a DVD is produced to it's maximum potential, the results are usually preferable LD. (anamorphic, DTS)

This point may fall into a gray area, because what sound quality works for a particur film the best can largely be considered a matter of personal preferance. For example, I dont think a PCM track could ever match the quality of the DTS sound contained on a ffilm like Savving Private Ryan or U-571. But a film like Sound of Music, PCM would most likely win over DTS, because the simple nature of the sound mix.

Thats the news, and I am out of here.

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Hello all. I agree with Jeremy. I don't like one format better than the other, rather I enjoy both in peace and harmony. I look at it this way: its better than having VHS only. With DVD and Laserdisc, I can have a nice, quality film collection with both formats guaranteeing great performance. People always talk about which is better, but they fail to realize that both are tremendous and totally compliment eachother in their own way. If one prefers the dts and video on Jurassic Park LD then get that instead of the DVD. However, if one prefers the dts DVD on a HDTV, then get the DVD. Both are easy to come by so just make a decision. This same rule could apply to The Phantom Menace. I have both because I prefer the video and audio of the Laserdisc, but enjoy the supplements of the DVD. So in the end, just get both a DVD and a LD player and decide FOR YOURSELF which versions you PREFER. Cheers!

AJ Garman

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Why use the worst case scenario to compare LD to DVD.
For example comparing non anamorphic dvd to LD. The majority of dvds are now anamorphic (about 95%) A well mastered anamorphic dvd will blow Ld out of the water, no doubt about that. As for sound pcm doesn't always beat DD 5.1 dvd soundtracks! I dare say some Laser discs look as good as non-anamorphic but there are not many top titles that are in this format anymore! Give up the ghost guys, its time to say goodbye to LD!
Nuff said!:emoji_thumbsup:

greg_t

Screenwriter
I just don't understand why we keep having these silly arguments about which is better, LD or DVD. I love both LD and DVD, and both formats live in harmony in my home, and both have their advantages and downfalls. Here are a few I have noted:
1. If I ever want to see new releases like Lord of the rings, Attack of the Clones, and Spiderman on something other than vhs, I must go dvd. Here, LD is dead.
2. If I want to see Schindlers List, the Original Star Wars Trilogy, Indiana Jones Trilogy, and thousands of other titles on something other than vhs, I must go LD. There are thousands of titles that will likely never see the light of day on dvd.
3. DVD image quality is better overall than LD, unless you have one of the latest Japanese players, which on certain titles it may be close. I personally can't see spending thousands on one of the japanese players unless you have a huge laserdisc collection that you love and want to see it it's best glory. Still, for the average home theater enthusiast, a two thousand dollar LD player is just not feasible, making dvd the better choice.
4. LD PCM audio is very good. for example, star wars, Indy, Top gun, just to name a few. I personally feel that LD audio, whether it be PCM,DD, or DTS, is better on LD.
As we can see, there are advantages and disadvantages to both formats. LD may be dead as a viable format in the marketplace, but it is alive and well as a home theater enthusiast format. Hopefully, we can stop the arguing and just accept the fact that both formats can live in peace. Our time can be better spent arguing about important topics, such as DD vs. DTS :)

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
3. DVD image quality is better overall than LD, unless you have one of the latest Japanese players, which on certain titles it may be close. I personally can't see spending thousands on one of the japanese players unless you have a huge laserdisc collection that you love and want to see it it's best glory. Still, for the average home theater enthusiast, a two thousand dollar LD player is just not feasible, making dvd the better choice.
Yes, and I got two of them and I think that people that
has not seen LD at it most shall be more restrict what they
say. I of course have DVD and VHS and most of the time the
new DVD has a better or little better picture, but not always as I really HATE any digital artifacts. But then we have the sound and I prefer PCM, then the little, if none better picture quality get's eaten up rather quickly. As I have a high-end 2 channels set-up I prefer stereo.
Of course there are MANY ld's that looks like sh*t but that's nothing new. And that is the reason this tread was started I think, for the guy to know how the LD version of the movie look/sound .
My babies:
Link Removed

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
Grant B, Thank you!:) I will soon have one more LD
player to play with, the 38 kilo (80lbs) singel side Pioneer HLD-X0!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks