What's new

RON HOWARD ACTION PACK 2-Disc Special Edition DVD (1 Viewer)

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn

[SIZE= 24px]RON HOWARD ACTION PACK [/SIZE]

[SIZE= 24px]2-Disc Special Edition DVD[/SIZE]

Studio: Shout Factory

Year: 1976, 1977

Rated: PG

Film Length: 1 hour, 28 minutes(Eat My Dust), 1 hour, 24 minutes(Grand Theft Auto)

Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1

Audio: English Dolby Digital 2.0

Release Date: May 24, 2011

The Movies

The story behind Ron Howard’s appearances in Eat My Dust(1976) and Grand Theft Auto(1977) is as interesting in itself as the actual films. The story is that Ron Howard, fresh off his starring turn on the hit sitcom Happy Days(1974-1984), agreed to producer Roger Corman’s request to appear in Eat My Dust at a very reasonable rate of compensation. After Eat My Dust did very well at the box office, Ron approached Roger and offered to appear in a second film, provided that Ron could write and direct the film. Roger accepted, the result was Grand Theft Auto, and Ron Howard’s directing career had begun.

The Ron Howard Action Pack includes both films on 2 separate discs: Eat My Dust(1976) and Grand Theft Auto(1977). Both films are high concept car chase films. In Eat My Dust, Ron Howard plays Hoover Niebold, a fast-racing teenager who makes the mistake of trying to impress Darlene(Christopher Norris), the sheriff’s daughter, by taking her for a joyride while the sheriff and his deputies try to catch them. In Grand Theft Auto, Ron plays Sam Freeman, who loves Paula Powers(Nancy Morgan) as they attempt to elope from Los Angeles to Las Vegas with a $25,000 bounty placed on them by Paula’s wealthy family and her deluded boyfriend.

Ron’s brother Clint Howard and father Rance Howard also appear in both films, and Rance Howard shared screenwriting credit with Ron on his directorial debut. Ron’s TV mom Marion Ross(Happy Days) also appears in Grand Theft Auto, which is the better of the 2 films, but both films are surprisingly fun given their apparently limited range. Car chase films, particularly from the 1970s, have a limited appeal for me, so I was pleasantly surprised at the level of entertainment provided in these films.

Video

Both films appear on DVD in an anamorphic 1.85:1 aspect ratio. Video image is surprisingly good on these transfers. Dust and debris are still apparent on both transfers, and some black crush is evident, but these are quite good transfers overall with virtually no compression issues other than the black crush and minor haloing.

Audio

The English Dolby Digital 2.0 track is adequate if not exceptional. Dialogue is appropriately audible over music and sound effects with no audible hiss.

Special Features

The special features are extensive on both discs. Disc 1 includes the following special features related to Eat My Dust:

New Interview With Star Ron Howard(15:16): Howard is gracious enough to return and discuss his experiences in making the films.

How To Crash On A Dime: The Making of Eat My Dust(9:32): A documentary with interviews of cast and crew regarding making the film.

Leonard Maltin Interview Roger Corman(3:00): Corman is interviewed regarding how Ron Howard came to appear in Eat My Dust.

The Illustrated Man - A Conversation With Corman Poster Artist John Solie(13:04): Solie is a terrific painter whose posters undoubtedly helped New World Pictures’ box office receipts over the years.

Theatrical Trailer(1:01): Vintage trailer from 1976 for Eat My Dust.

Disc 2 includes the following special features related to Grand Theft Auto:

Introduction by Roger Corman(0:36): This intro is very brief.

Audio commentary by writer/director Ron Howard and producer Roger Corman.

Audio commentary by co-writer/actor Rance Howard, second unit director Allan Arkush(Heroes), Editor Joe Dante(Gremlins), and Key Grip Ben Haller(Starship Troopers: it is amazing how many great talents have been employed by Corman over the years.

A Family Affair - An Interview With Rance and Clint Howard(8:40): Ron’s father and brother were interviewed recently regarding making both films.

Interview With Ron Howard and Roger Corman(13:40): Unlike everything else on these discs, video quality is very poor, which appears to be taken from aging videotape.

Leonard Maltin Interview Roger Corman(5:31): Corman is interviewed regarding how Ron Howard came to appear in Eat My Dust.

Theatrical Trailer(2:19): Vintage trailer from 1977 for Grand Theft Auto.

TV spots(1:02): 2 short vintage tv commercials for Grand Theft Auto.

Conclusion

The Ron Howard Action Pack includes 2 films that are essential for Ron Howard completists, particularly since Grand Theft Auto was his directorial debut. The video and audio qualities of these DVDs are good, not great, but better than expected. There is a wealth of special features included in this 2-disc collector’s edition, many of which are as entertaining as the films themselves. If you do not go into these films expecting sophisticated character drama, there are some laughs to be had in the Ron Howard Action Pack.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Certainly plenty of DVD extras. This title from Shout! isn't high on my list of Shout! titles I'm interested in getting, but if I were to get it it would be for Grand Theft Auto. And kudos for getting Ron Howard to do an interview for this Shout! release.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Ron Howard doesn't mind contributing to these two films since it sounds like he still gets a royalty check from Roger Corman. It's a great double feature.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Corey3rd

Ron Howard doesn't mind contributing to these two films since it sounds like he still gets a royalty check from Roger Corman. It's a great double feature.

That was a compliment I gave in my previous post.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks