What's new

Romy and Michelle the Beginning (1 Viewer)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I saw the ad in TV guide and EW and was kinda shocked. How do you make a movie with the same characters and not the two actresses that made the first movie? The guy who wrote the first one is directing this one but did not write it.
I'm skeptical but will give it a chance.
Anyone else?
Thoughts?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Doesn't this film take place when they are younger, much too young for Kudrow and Sorvino to reprise their roles for an entire movie?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
They're "roles", which can be played by various different "actors". Indeed, it is often interesting to see different actors's takes on the characters. And, besides, the first Romy & Michelle movie was an adaptation of a Sorvino-less play anyway.

The thing that gets me is, I could have sworn this came out a year ago and is just being repromoted because now people know Ms. Heigl from Grey's Anatomy. That's not the case, but I think this thing has been gestating a long time, and was originally going to be done for ABC, as opposed to ABC Family.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I remember hearing about it for a while.
I am not saying someone else can't play the roles but it's hard to replace those two.
I think I much rather have had a Big screen movie but...

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
They will be hard to replace but hopefully it'll be a fun film to watch... The ABC family movies tend towards the cheesy end of the spectrum but are pretty enjoyable in my experience (in the guilty pleasure sense). I happened to catch Lucky 7 over the weekend (with GA co-star Patrick Dempsy) and thought it was fun.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Four words for you...

Katherine Heigl's in it.

Hence, I shall watch it. :D

BTW, I actually liked Dumb and Dumberer, it was the first, and most likely last, time I ever laughed at ANYTHING Bob Saget said. Also, Eric Christian-Olsen really nailed a young Jim Carrey as Lloyd! :laugh:

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
There's a difference between "Dumb and Dumberer" and the "Star Wars" prequels. As early as 1979, with the theatrical re-release of the original "Star Wars", George Lucas had re-titled it "Episode IV A New Hope". Lucas would have set these films before the original "Star Wars" regardless of the circumstances in which he made them. Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman weren't even born at the time. With "Dumb and Dumberer", on the other hand, the prequel aspect isn't necessary. If New Line wanted to get Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels back for another "Dumb and Dumber", they obviously would have just produced a sequel. They didn't want to pay them and making a prequel was the best way to justify their decision to recast. In the case of "Star Wars", the casting was a result of the story. In the case of "Dumb and Dumberer", the story was a result of the casting. I presume this is the case for the telefilm in question as well.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Bill, I totally agree that the circumstances of a prequel idea to Romy and Michelle was just the same as Dumb and Dumber (i.e. too expensive to make a sequel, so they went the cheap way and made a prequel), but Star Wars is a prime example of the question that was asked about making a movie with the same characters and not the same people who played the parts.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Does it really matter which route the filmmakers took and why? As long as the end result is entertaining, I can deal with anything else.

The original was a fluffy little film that was also funny and very sexy (Lisa Kudrow dreaming of walking into the class reunion wearing nothing but a bra and panties), if this tv movie can capture just a fraction of that same charm that's fine with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks