Romeo + Juliet: SE - STUNNING colors

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Conrad, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Jeremy Conrad

Jeremy Conrad Supporting Actor

Wow, I just popped the disc into the player and the colors during the opening gun fight are STUNNING. So bright and vibrant, it's a big improvement over the original disc.

Listening to the commentary right now, pretty good so far.

2. Skoobooz

Skoobooz Stunt Coordinator

Jay
    I certainly agree that the colors are a great improvement. But also, I have to commend the special features. They are excellent! So much better than the usual DVD fluff. Memo to studios: actual video footage from the set of everyone doing what they do best is VERY MUCH PREFERRED to a recycled EPK or interviews about how much everyone loves each other.

3. josh4040

josh4040 Second Unit

Where did you two get this movie I searched all the biggies in la and none of them have it [​IMG]

4. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Josh, Jeremy Conrad is the editor of a large DVD website, so I would assume he got an advance copy for review. As for Glassman, I can't say.

5. Skoobooz

Jay
    Ah, the joys of living in a major metropolitan area (Manhattan). [​IMG]
    Then again, I see you live in LA. This I can not explain.

6. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

My copy came on street date from DVD Empire (I wonder whether I paid more than Jeremy [​IMG]). And yes, the image is wonderful.
    M.

7. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

Not to change topics, but has anyone noticed how cheap Fox has priced this DVD in Canada (especially considering that this is an SE)? I paid $16.99 (that's just slightly over $10 USD) for it at Future Shop, and this seemed to be the case at most stores.

8. Jeremy Conrad

Jeremy Conrad Supporting Actor

I saw copies at Suncoast last night. However, they were stashed at the bottom of the new release area where no one really would see them.

9. MattGuyOR

MattGuyOR Stunt Coordinator

I also got it yesterday, for about 15 bucks. Looks GREAT! I'm glad I never got the original disc. Can't wait for Strictly Ballroom.

10. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

Mike, not to be a wierdo or something, but are you certain that you have the SE? I have not been by my local FS yet, but when I went to the local B&M that I frequent, they had not heard of the SE version, neither had the distributers they deal with. It was actually while I was in the shop, convincing them that the rerelease that was done just weeks ago was the original version, with a new street price, that their distributor(s) confirmed the SE was coming to Canada.

If the pricing holds, I am going to be happy!

11. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

Probably your best bet for getting this one is online. Mine just shipped this morning from DVDEmpire for 14.98 + Shipping. I searched all over the B&M's yesterday and came up empty handed. I haven't seen the original disc, so I won't be able to do a comparison.

12. Darcy Hunter

Darcy Hunter Stunt Coordinator

Lance,

I picked up the SE from Future Shop yesterday, (the 12th) for only 15.99. They had lots of them on prominant display. I can't wait to take a look at it!

13. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

Re-inforcing darcy

there was a ton of SE's priced at 15.99 at future shop today

14. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Is this the same commentary from the LD (which still looks pretty good)? Are there extras that aren't on the LD version?

15. josh4040

josh4040 Second Unit

I don't know if they are trustworthy but, I called tower records and they say they have the se edition in stock.

16. Skoobooz

Jay
    Surprisingly enough, it's a newly recorded commentary. I, too, thought it would simply have been ported over from the laserdisc, but it wasn't. You can tell because they mention Moulin Rouge a lot and specify other things on the DVD (and refer to it as a DVD). Good commentary, too (especially the end...can't tell if they knew they were still being recorded or not).

For those in New York, try J&R on Park Row. They had tons (at $17.99, but still...).

17. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

18. ShermanB

ShermanB Auditioning

I picked up the SE at a local FS for $15.99. Anyone know why it's so cheap?? Not that I'm complaining [​IMG]

19. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Am I right in thinking there is still no announcement for the Red Curtain Box yet? I was waiting for that to come out, even though I've already given in with Moulin Rouge.

20. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

Thanks every one, going to drop by my fave retailer at lunch here....