What's new

Rome. Season One: *Discuss* (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Well he is the man most responsible for what Rome becomes after Caesar's death, and a dominant figure for the next... well, I won't say how many years, as I guess that would constitute a spoiler for those unfamiliar with the period. But certainly Octavian the character would have to be one of the "stars" for the next few seasons because Octavian the man was in history. :)

Regards,

Joe

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
Perhaps the intent of ROME is to present the course of events up to about the beginning of I CLAUDIUS...?

Season 1 ended in 44 B.C.E. with Caesar's murder. Octavian defeats Antony at Actium in 31 B.C.E., so that's 13 years or so to cover. And I CLAUDIUS begins in 24 B.C.E.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I'm not sure how far or how ambitiously they've projected their future storylines. After all, they're not assured of anything beyond a season two, at this point, of however many episodes, so that's what they need to plan for: an interesting over-arching story for the season and enough compelling individual stories to keep us watching. Unlike most "arc" series, they don't even need to think about working out their "plot", because the broad outline is already in the history books. They just have to deal with each season-sized chunk of the past and then break that down into digestible episode-sized bits. :)

Joe

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
lol, yeah it's hard to surprise people when it's culled from history =).

it's not like the cylons or the monster from lost will come swooping in... hey, that's a great idea! ;).

parin_patel

Stunt Coordinator
Though unlikely, it would be interesting if they did a prequel of sorts with Season 2, and cover the period with Gaius Marius and Lucius Cornelius Sulla. They did after all set it all up for Caesar, and the eventual fall of the Republic... plus I don't think this period has been filmed before.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
After the recent passing of Ray Stevenson, I decided a few weeks ago to do a rewatch of what might be his greatest role, as Titus Pullo in Rome. I'm now on episode 9 of the first season, and I think it still works. It would be possible to do another show set in another period of Roman history, if hbo is so inclined, but the expense of it would almost certainly be a big deterrent. Anyway, Ray Stevenson is as good as I remember him in this role, as is every one of the other performers. The production design and direction are also impressive. The writing on this show is solid as well.

ray stevenson.jpeg
Rome_TV_Series-303974329-large.jpeg
Rome_TV_Series-514584199-large.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks