What's new

Rome Season II (1 Viewer)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
As ever Joe, thanks for the historical background!
I had the impression Princeps Senatus was a little like the British "Father Of The House" or the US Senate's president pro tem, it was simply whichever Member or Senator was the most senior age-wise, or length of service-wise, and not a measure of that particular politician's actual clout or power.

I am reminded of how Rome (the historic political entity, not this HBO series!) has influenced a lot of modern politics and culture. For some reason the Star Trek episode (whose name escapes me) where they found a civilization where Rome never fell comes to mind, and Kirk met a former Starfleet captain Merrick, who had become First Citizen Mericus in that civilization. Also, Jeffrey Archer's book (subsequently turned into a mini-series) First Among Equals sort-of highlights how in British politics, the Prime Minister was initially seen to be simply that, the titular leader of a Cabinet of equals handling individual portfolios. Modern British politics has of course digressed from that.

Now onto I, Claudius. I finally got it a few weeks ago, but for various reasons haven't started watching yet. Oddly having now seen the conclusion to Rome, with the "rise of Livia", it was probably appropriate to have waited anyway.

Oh, for the Vorenus "did he die?" debate, I think he did: as observed already Pullo seemed rather broken up about it when reporting to Octavian, and there was no reason to lie to Octavian about Vorenus's death anyway -- Octavian I think recognised that Vorenus was simply an honourable man serving Antony because he was "Antony's man" after previously having been one of Caesar's most trusted men, and not because Vorenus personally opposed Octavian; heck, Vorenus didn't like Caesar's politics but had faithfully served Caesar anyway (leaving aside the final screwup). Had he lived, Vorenus would no doubt have been given a position under Octavian as well.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

That's not too far off, which is one reason I drew the distinction between Princeps Senatus and "princeps" in the sense of "The First Man in Rome". But the Roman formula was more complicated and the job was more like the American Speaker of the House with its ability to set the agenda for meetings than our senate's president pro tempore.

The princeps senatus presided over meetings of the House in the absence of the consuls, took precedence in debate and by the late Republic could also summon meetings of the House, meet with foreign embassies and correspond with foreign leaders on behalf of the Senate. It was one of the most powerful offices not owning imperium in Rome, although not part of the cursus honorum.

I was mistaken when I said the post was a life appointment. (It just seemed that way. :)) The princeps senatus was chosen every five years by the censors. The rules governing the job varied, but it was always given to a patrician, the senior senator of his decury (a grouping of ten senators that went back to the legendary founding of the senate as a group of 100 advisors to Romulus), a consular (former consul) and often a former censor. Necessarily this would be a widely respected and accomplished figure, and the censors would be careful to select someone with sound judgement and who was unlikely to antagonize too many people. But the office rather added to a man's prestige once he had it rather than reflecting his prestige at the time he was given it.

(What a wonderful thing is Wiki. :))

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Both Atia and Octavia showed hostility to Livia from the first "family dinner" on. Atia was probably annoyed that Octavian picked a wife without consulting her.

(Given the over-the-top soap opera tendencies of the show I'm stunned that the producers didn't follow the real history and show Livia as being heavily pregnant at the time Octavian ordered her to divorce her husband and marry him - which she did three days after giving birth to another man's child. Atia would have had a field day with that. ;))

Pity the show didn't have another year to run so they could have spread things out a bit more.

Regards,

Joe

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Joe for the info. But, reading that. I keep thinking of Ron Weasley talking to Hermione in the first Harry Potter movie. After Hermione freezes Neville....
Ron: "You’re a little scary sometimes, you know that. Brilliant, but scary." :)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I loved This Season but it reminded me of S4 of B5 when JMS did'nt know we'd be getting S5 and stuff was getting crammed in, resolutions quickly told. I would've like a funeral pyre scene for vorenus

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I thought the producers already knew from the outset this was a second and final season?

As for a funeral pyre, actually I think the fact that his last scene was of reconciliation with his children on his deathbed was entirely appropriate. Not sure what a funeral scene would show, apart from his weeping children and a sad but stoic Pullo next to them.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
For those in "Rome" withdrawal, I heartily recommend the 30-year old "I, Claudius" for your fix of Roman scheming. Don't be put off by the fact that it looks like it was shot on video, and the sets are nothing close to the grandeur of "Rome" -- the acting is superior, featuring many famous British names (imagine, Jean-Luc Picard with hair! A young "Manimal"! The 'new' Saint! And of course the titular character, Sir Derek Jacobi), and the plotting is even more fiendish! And surprisingly, for a 30-year old British TV show, almost just as raunchy (i.e. nudity) -- just imagine that a Roman noblewoman goes all Annabel Chong... (although you don't literally see that)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I'm pretty sure it looks that way because it was shot on video. :) Apart from actual locations shots, a great many BBC television productions of the period shot all of their studio material on videotape instead of 16mm or 35mm film. That's what makes the "look" of the exteriors and interiors so different in shows like Monty Python's Flying Circus.

I certainly second the recommendation. (With the usual caveat that the portayal of the characters - especially Livia - is not necessarily history. Although she was certainly portrayed as a schemer and even a poisoner in many of the ancient sources, those who repeated that gossip - or invented it - often had their own axes to grind. Robert Graves accepted this tradition in writing his novel, and Jack Pulman was faithful to Graves in writing his script.)

But even though the Livia in I, Claudius may not be much like the Livia who actually lived, she's a hell of a lot of fun to watch - and unlike Attia in Rome at least her portrayal is supported by material in the ancient sources, even if modern scholars dispute what some of those sources said. I found Anthony Everitt's Livia - and his Augustus - more persuasive, in his excellent biography of the first emperor, as well as his arguments for approaching much of the anti-Livia tradition with skepticism.)

Regards,

Joe

Calvin_Su

Stunt Coordinator
Was anyone else disturbed by Marc Antony and Cleopatra's rotted bodies being displayed at the ceremony?

We have seen those types of things happen with other defeated people's heads being displayed in public, but Marc Antony was actually a character I liked.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
that's the only thing you're disturbed by after years of incest, gladiatorial de-limbification and many other worse things? :laugh:

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Babylon Fields (Ray Stevenson's fall option) was not picked-up, while Journeyman (Kevin McKidd's fall option) was picked up.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Journeyman

Babylon Fields was a dramedy about deceased people who are resurrected and resume their former lives, which was to star Amber Tamblyn, Jamey Sheridan, Kathy Baker, Ray Stevenson.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I'd be very happy if it turned out as good as Quantum Leap.

I see no problem with shows revisiting previously-visited themes, especially when we've been MISSING those older shows, eh? If we can't have more new episodes of Quantum Leap, then why not a whole season of Journeyman? Sounds not just "good", but sounds GREAT to me!

Besides, Journeyman sounds quite different. Quantum Leap was substantially focused on the other-time interactions: Sam almost never interacted with his own time, his own (real) life. The few times he did, they were the best episodes of the series. So Journeyman holds even greater promise than Quantum Leap did AFAIC.

Also, as much as I like Scott Bakula, Kevin McKidd is a better actor IMHO. FWIW.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Wasn't Quantum Leap The Time Tunnel? :) Conceptually, those two shows were closer to one another than Journeyman sounds to QL. The obvious and crucial differences are that Dan Vasser never volunteered to be a time traveller, that no one knows the mechanism that causes him to move through time, and that he returns to his ordinary life in between "trips". That last part (as Brian also notes) is huge in terms of focus and storytelling.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks