Rome Season 1 News

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mark Talmadge, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge Cinematographer

Thought I'd pass this on but this tuesdays release of Rome Season 1 includes a very special bonus DVD that includes four full-length episodes of current HBO shows. The only show I could remember was that there is a full length episode of Deadwood included on this bonus disk. I don't think this is an exclusive disk but it's an additional disk included separately with the set. Tomorrow I'll post a listing of the other shows included on this disk.

[​IMG]

2. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Im pretty bummed after hearing they are changing actors for the role of Octavian. Keeping the same actor would have tied the second season in much better.

3. Allan^L

Allan^L Stunt Coordinator

I'm pretty sure the four shows on the bonus DVD are the series premieres of Rome (a little redundant, no?), Deadwood, Entourage, and Big Love.

4. Mark Talmadge

That's correct ... I was just going to post that. The preview disk contains full length episode previews of Deadwood, Entourage, Big Love and Rome. I'm not sure sure why an episode of Rome appears as a full length episode on the bonus disk.

I'm wondering if it might be an episode of Season 2.

5. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

That episode of Rome is on there because the same disc will be given away with other sets and in other promotions.

6. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    I just got an e-mail from Amazon, saying that the price of my pre-ordered Rome set was going from $62.99 to $84.99, but when I checked the page, the pre-order price was still $62.99. I don't know what's up here, but I cancelled the original order and ordered again.

7. Mark Talmadge

I would cancel and wait until the set is released. If it jumps in price, Amazon.com will wait until the item is ready to be shipped before they charge you for it. If they jump the price then that means you might be able to find it cheaper at another website say like Best Buy or Circuit City.

8. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Or print your Amazon order and force them to honor that price. They are usually good about that.

9. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I think the 2nd season of Rome is supposed to take place when Octavian is a bit older and follows his rule so it might make sense fo rthe recast.

10. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    No discussion of the Rome S1 DVDs?

I haven't finished re-watching all of it yet, but I will comment that whilst I found the "All Roads Lead to Rome" feature interesting -- subtitles with historic facts or trivia commenting on what you see on screen -- the audio commentaries leave something to be desired. Ray Stevenson (Pullo) wasn't bad on his solo one, but I tried one commentary by the exec producer Bruno Heller with the historical consultant Jonathan Stamp, and it was so full of dead air I could practically watch the episode per normal. Doh!