Romantic things to do in Boston

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jassen M. West, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

My girlfriend and i have been together for 3 years now. (Yes I'll be popping the question soon)She goes to college out near Boston and i wanted to do something nice for our 3rd year together. I was thinking of packing a picnic basket and taking her to Boston Common, but what to pack for lunch? I don't want to do plain old sandwiches.. or does someone have a better idea.

thanks,
    jay

2. Eric Mitchell

Eric Mitchell Stunt Coordinator

Well, I'd suggest the "Ye Olde Union Oyster Hous" about a block from Feniel Hall (sp?). Get an order of the steamers and some white wine and your all set. Then you can walk around and enjoy the area. I did this for most special occasions, anniversary w/ my girlfriend, etc. I lived there for about five years and that was by far my favorite place.

3. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Not sure if you enjoy classical music but you might want to also consider taking in a performance of the BSO/Boston Pops at Symphony Hall or even heading over to Tanglewood. There's nothing quite like drinking champagne while listening to John Williams work his magic. [​IMG]

4. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I would suggest a stroll along the North End, with dinner at La Famiglia and dessert at Mike's.

5. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

Stay away from Boston!!!!! The Dig has ruined a wonderful city. Take a ride up to Gloucester/Manchester/Essex area. Its beautiful up there, right on the water and alot less crowded and closer than the cape. A friend of mine lives in Magnolia and I'd rather spend an afternoon there.

6. Tim Abbott

Tim Abbott Second Unit

Tim
    Have you ever been to Finale?? It is THE place to go for dessert!! It is relatively pricey for dessert (in my opinion) in that items are $8-12. I'm a real cheap person, but it is totally worth it, especially for this type of occasion. If its crowded and there is a wait, you can actually stand there and watch them assemble the desserts. Trust me, I don't mean make, I mean *assemble*. What they are able to do with food is very cool.

It is on Columbus Ave right in the theater district. Its only 1 block away from the Common and Gardens.

*Here you go: Finale, 15 Columbus Ave, Boston MA 02116
    (617)423-3184

7. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Uh, Eric . . . That's Faneuil (Fan-you-ell) Hall Marketplace. Otherwise known as Quincy Market (Quin-zee MAH-ket). Nice try for an out of towner, though! A must for tourists, and good food at the older restaurants; just don't expect a romantic dinner at Durgin Park or The Union. They have a New England "charm" about them that non-New Englanders often refer to as "rude". For fancy, romantic dining in Boston, the tops is "LeSpalier", although there are many others. Try the Four Season's High Tea on Sundays. You'll be bored to tears, but the women love it.

Gary, John Williams has not conducted the Pops for years now, although the Pops (not the BSO) still do some of his scores. Tough to get tickets, though.

If you are not limited to just Boston, the most romantic evening in New England is available in Providence, at Waterfire. (www.waterfire.com) I love my home city, but have never been so impressed by an urban display as I was at Waterfire. Been back 3 times since. My whole family has been and not one person has come back disappointed. It is absolutly beautiful, stirring and romantic. Get a gondola ride during Waterfire and you cannot go wrong. The schedule is at the site, seems like they have a few more lightings this year. Try for a full instead of a partial lighting. Seriously, I can think of nothing better for 100 miles around Boston than a picnic on a gondola during Waterfire.

8. Phil Kim

Phil Kim Stunt Coordinator

If the weather is nice, drive north for about 90-minutes-to-2-hours to Oguinquit, Maine. I've lived in New England for 4 years earlier, and I drove practically everywhere worth visiting. Oguiquit is the most romantic and picturesque place I've been to in New England, bar-none (that includes Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, and Kennebunkport, to name a few).

9. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

Ohhhh!!! I know! I know!

Picnic in the Public Gardens and ride the swan boats in the pond. Girls love that stuff! Then, after strolling around Beacon Hill and admiring the gas lamps and antique shops, you can go for tea at The Ritz which is right across from the Public Gardens. The Ritz is one of the few Ritz properties that lives-up to the reputation of its Paris grandmother. A beautiful hotel that's horribly overpriced but still serves a lovely English tea that she will swoon over.

As for the basket, the Ritz will make a hamper for you if you call ahead. What could be more impressive?

There are some pics here.

The Ritz is here.

Good luck!

10. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

11. Greg Morse

Greg Morse Stunt Coordinator

High Tea at the Ritz is pretty sweet. If money isn't a worry I would recommend dinner at Aujourd'hui in the Four Seasons. Make reservations for sunset and beg for a table near the window (overlooks the Public Garden). L'Espalier is great as well for a Romantic Dinner.

12. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Get baseball tickets of course! That way when she doesn't want to go you can take your buddy and not have to go to some fancy restaurant that feed you a tomato and bread on a leaf that looks more like art than food [​IMG] .

13. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

Jassen, as you can see, there are a lot of options in Boston. Can you give us a few more specifics, like when you plan to do this, a rough figure on what you want to spend (last time I was at L'Espalier it was a bit pricey for the average college budget) and how much time you will have in the city?

14. Jassen M. West

Jassen M. West Supporting Actor

I would like to plan for this sunday. I have heard some great suggestions. I like the Finale idea (she loves exotic desserts) and the North End restaurant/Stroll sounds nice too. I would like to stop at the Commons too. can anyone give me T stops i'm pretty good at navigating the T system considering i'm in the city every other weekend. i have a general idea where things are but exact T stops would be nice... thanks for all the ideas,, i'm saving "Aujourd'hui in the Four Seasons" for the actual proposal, with a seat by the window. i can make reservations right?

thanks again

15. Tim Abbott

Tim Abbott Second Unit

Tim
    Jassen, Finale is pretty close to the Boylston stop on the Green line. You may want to check out a map ahead of time as you can't actually see the restaurant from the common, though it is very close.

16. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

Regarding T stops:
    Arlington - Green line - Southwest corner of the Public Garden, and closest to Finale.

Boylston - Green line - Southeast corner of Boston Common.

Park Street - Green and Red lines - Northeast corner of the Common.

The North End is always a good bet for dinner. If you want something nice, try Sage at the corner of Prince and Salem. It's very small and consistantly one of the best-rated restaurants in the area. Another place that's a little bigger, more reasonably priced and easier to get into is Bricco at the end of Hanover St. (closest to the city). In spite of its name, Mamma Maria's is an outstanding restaurant in a very quaint building near the Paul Revere house. I believe they may even take reservations.

If you don't make it to the North End for dinner, there is a great, relatively new Italian restaurant right on Boston Common called Teatro. It's located near the new theater. The food is wonderful, it can get a little noisy, but the room is pretty cool.

Finale is a great choice for a romantic dessert, and is probably about a 1/2 hour stroll from the North End - not a bad idea after a big Italian meal. The usual North End dessert choices (Mike's, Cafe Vittoria, etc.) have tasty stuff but are really just noisy bakeries. Nothing wrong with that, just not necessarily romantic. The North End to Finale stoll would take you through the Common and Public Garden if you hadn't already done that earlier.

Other nice strolls are Newbury St., which can be crowded, or the more residential Marlborough St. two blocks over. Marlborough is great at night because it still has working gaslights instead of street lamps.

For a really romantic nightcap, head over to the Oak Bar at the Copley Plaza Hotel (Copley T stop) for a cocktail. A bit expensive, but the drinks are large and the room is stunning.

Have fun and let us know what you end up doing!

17. Greg Morse

Greg Morse Stunt Coordinator

Aujourd'hui definitely needs reservations. I haven't been there in 3 or 4 years, but at the time you needed reservations a couple weeks in advance (it was top rated in Boston by Zagat).

Another thought if it's a nice day, get an outside table at Tapeo (on Newbury) and just eat Tapas and drink Sangria.

If you're in the Back Bay, you can always go to Le Gamin, a pretty sweet Crepery (sp?) on Tremont pretty close to Dartmouth Station (and the Oak Bar).

18. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Top of the Hub - great experience, but not that great of food. Plus, unless you really have some connections, you wont get a window table.

I recommend the North End, there are tons of places to eat, great atmosphere, good desserts!

Of course... over all of these, I recommend taking the T to Southie (get off at Broadway), hit a few Irish bars while walking down West Broadway. At the intersection of West Broadway, East Broadway, and Dorchester Street, take a right onto Dor St. and then walk to Old Harbor Street (where I used to live [​IMG]) About one block up is Telegraph Hill - mega-romantic, and probably the best view of the city you will find, and there's nobody else around. Pack up a blanket, lay on top of the hill, check out the skyline, and watch the planes take off and land at Logan. I'm not kidding - it's actually very romantic and private.