What's new

Roman Polanksi's MACBETH was released today... (1 Viewer)

Greg O' Connel

Stunt Coordinator
...Anybody pick it up? Any impressions of this disc would be apprecited, as well as any info about a store that carries it. I'll probably have to order it from Amazon, but I would much rather get it now at a B&M, since my credit card is a little, um, overextended.

Jeff Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the disc looks very good, overall. The print has some speckling here and there early on, but it is an anamorphic transfer. The disc includes the trailer, as well as a trailer for Sense & Sensibility (!). Got mine at Best Buy. Borders is carrying it as well.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
My full review is up at http://www.digitallyobsessed.com
Essentially, the first five minutes looks just terrible. The remainder looks beautiful. I too question the pairing of Macbeth with Sense and Sensibility....I can only assume that the programmers at CTS have a weird sense of humor. "If you liked the gory bloodbath of Macbeth, you'll love the nonstop violence and balls-to-the-walls action of Rowdy Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility!" :laugh:

Ivan_F

Grip
Just wondering...is Roman Polanski himself coming to the USA to plug this latest release?:eek:

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Do the first five minutes (the crappy-looking part) have credits over them?
I think "crappy-looking" is a big exaggeration.

Yes, there is some visible wear on the source material in the early going, but it does improve after the opening titles.

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
I saw MACBETH at the Playboy Theater in Manhattan (which didn't keep that name for too long a time) on an 11th-grade English class trip. I can recall that the movie didn't quite fit on the screen. The lead actress' name came out looking like this: FRANCESCA ANNI. Now, after 31 years, I can finally see the extreme right side of the image on my DVD.

--Bill

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The opening segment with the witches on the beach and the first half of the titles are the problematic part. I'm used to titles with their opticals being iffy, but the beginning is bad as well--apparently CTS thought it would be too disruptive to go from good quality to poor for the titles, but I found it much more disruptive to have a massive green scratch running for several minutes through the picture.:angry: And the second half of the title sequence actually looks pretty good, once that scratch goes away.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks