What's new

Rolling Stones Update and More (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Friends,
See attached link for exciting news about the Rolling Stones Super Audio CDs...
http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...snumber=269341
Also, from enythemusic.com:
Linn Records has released eleven SACD titles. These all original music titles include Poulenc Concerto For Organ, Palladian Ensemble Held By The Ears, Barb Junger Chanson: The Space In Between, Perfect Houseplant New Folk Songs, and Tommy Smith Bluesmith. All SACD single disc titles are £20. All SACD titles are dual layer for replay on both CD and SACD players.
More titles, more happiness! :)

Greg Br

Second Unit
Lee,

It seems like everything is a go for these disks. So they are releasing Hot Tracks and the Singles Collection on SACD? Are all these coming out at the same time or will the releases be staggered. What is your take on this after reading the information.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
So they are releasing Hot Tracks and the Singles Collection on SACD? Are all these coming out at the same time or will the releases be staggered.
All will be released on August 20. The titles released will be:

‘England's Newest Hitmakers’
‘12×5’
‘The Rolling Stones Now’
‘Out of Our Heads’
‘Out of Our Heads’ - UK Version
‘December’s Children’
‘Big Hits (High Tide & Green Grass) ’
‘Aftermath’
‘Aftermath’ - UK Version
‘Got Live If You Want It! ’
‘Between the Buttons’
‘Between the Buttons’ - UK Version
‘Flowers’
‘Their Satanic Majesties Request’
‘Beggars Banquet’
‘Through the Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol 2)’
‘Let It Bleed’
‘Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out’
‘Hot Rocks’
‘More Hot Rocks’
‘The Rolling Stones Singles Collection - The London Years’
‘Metamorphosis’

Ryan

Greg Br

Second Unit
I have been told that the singles collection was absolutely a terrible recording, will that be fixed, is it fixable?

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Found my answer in that article. places where a true stereo mix is found, they used it. Otherwise the mono mix replaces any fake stereo mixes.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
So glad I bought the original CDs of The Singles Collection, Aftermath, Beggar's Banquet, and Ya-Ya's all within the past year or so. . . :angry:
Who wants to buy 'em used for cheap? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
:D
-mwb-

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
I have been told that the singles collection was absolutely a terrible recording, will that be fixed, is it fixable?
The problem with the Singles box is that many of the mixes used weren't the actual single mixes. This is supposedly going to be corrected for the new set.

Ryan

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Does this set also make obsolete the Hot Rocks CD sets from Europe that were made around 1987? Those had many stereo mixes that were never available elsewhere.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
Does this set also make obsolete the Hot Rocks CD sets from Europe that were made around 1987?
No it does not. The stereo Satisfaction (and possibly others) was a rejected binaural mix (I guess this is why it DOES sound great on headphones even if it's a little diffuse over speakers) that will now be replaced with a DIFFERENT stereo mix also from back in 1965! So the collectability of the original Hot Rocks will remain. BTW, WHICH 1987 Hot Rocks do you have? The 1st one, which has 4 page fold over booklets & features COMPLETE versions of the songs, Or the 2nd issue, which has full booklets but cuts off the 1st notes on most of the tracks. I combined the 2 & now have the good 1st discs in the better 2nd packaging!

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
I have both Hot Rocks 1 and Hot Rocks 2, (2 1 CD sets) the packaging was minimal, but it had more stereo cuts than the American 2 CD Hot Rocks.

To me, both Hot Rocks 1 and 2 sound complete, not cut off, but Time is on my side fades out slightly instead of just a cold ending. Also, As Tears and 19th Nervous are the only mono cuts on Hot Rocks 1. All the Hot Rocks 2 tracks are in Stereo (not true of US Hot Rocks, which has a mono Jumpin Jack).

I will hold onto those discs. They were expensive ($18 in 1987), but as soon as I heard they were in stereo, I bought them immediately.

It will be nice to have all the Hot Rocks tracks in stereo, and most of More Hot Rocks (I don't expect the early cuts before It's all over now to be in stereo).

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
I also have both Hot Rocks discs (no fade - 4 page inserts), and I also paid around $20 each in '87. Some of those stereo mixes are kinda wonky - not only is Satisfaction to "wide', the vocals and acoustic guitar are mixed to loud, while the electric guitar, bass and drums are mixed to softly. Not only that - the tape speed is a little fast. I REALLY hope they correct that.

Get Off of My Cloud also suffers from a buried rhythm section in it's stereo mix.

Maybe Hot Rocks will still be of value, but I fear my London Aftermath CD (purchased at the same time as the other 2) will now become obsolete. Ah well, the rest of the world really needs to hear the 5:15 version of Out of Time - a single that should have been (IMHO).

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee, thanks for posting the MTV link. Loder gave a nice plug for SACD:

I know: Here we go again. The ever-voracious record business is once again trying to compel us to re-buy all our old albums in a spiffy new form. (And in a reprise of the old VHS-versus-Beta video wars of the 1970s, there's a competing DVD-based audio format that also utilizes the new higher sampling rate.)

I much resent this sort of thing, too. But SACD is a quantum leap for digital sound, a revelation, really. Time takes an unavoidable toll, and I never imagined I'd ever be jazzed about another new Rolling Stones release. But remastered, these great old albums sound new all over again. And jazzed I am.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
So, for those of you that really know your Stones history (and it sounds like most of you do), will there be any reason for me to keep the following CDs?:
  • Singles Collection - The London Years
  • Aftermath
  • Beggars Banquet
  • Let It Bleed
  • Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!
  • Hot Rocks 1964-1971
All of these were bought in the U.S. (Singles, Aftermath, Beggars, and Ya-Ya's within the last year).
Just wondering if I should hang onto them for any stereo/mono cuts or alternate versions they might have that the SACDs might not.
Or would it be best just to get rid of them ASAP before the SACDs come out?
Thanks much,
-mwb-

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, I would like to find them at a brick-and-mortar store. From what I have read, the Stones discs will be released in digipaks. I am hoping that they will also come out in jewel cases, as I can't stand digipaks. Besides, I am hoping to find some good deals at some local stores. Some web sites are taking pre-orders. I believe amazon.com and cdnow.com are two such sites.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks