What's new

Rolling Stones Limited Editions (1 Viewer)

Paul D Young

Second Unit
I know that I while back, before I was into the Stones, they re-released a lot of their Virgin albums in limited edition cardboard sleeves to replicate the original LPs. Does anyone know which ones were released that way? I just picked up Some Girls that way from circuit City yesterday for $13.99. Do you know where I can get more? I'd like my collection to match if you know what I mean.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Sticky Fingers, definitely. I really want a copy with the zip on but they don't seem to do them any more. :angry:

Ike

Screenwriter
I have a copy of Sticky Fingers. It really is neat. It comes with a tiny zipper, and a plastic outer cover to protect it (it doesn't snap on in any way, it's just like a little wrap around it). The CD is housed in a replica LP cover. This is neat, in theory, but unfortunately, getting the CD out is a bit of pain-I sometimes have to grab the edge of the disc or shake it out into my hand.

They got extremely detailed with the replication-down to listing the songs in the order they appeared on the LP-Side 1, Side 2.

It's neat cases, but I don't know how many they did like this. It seems like the two that would make sense would be Sticky Fingers and Some Girls, since they both feature different kinds of cover art.

See if you can track down a copy of Sticky Fingers, and I need to see if I can get a copy of Some Girls.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I believe it was basically any pre-CD album to which Virgin had the rights that they released in this way. I'd be interested to see the Exile on M St version but that one might have been too much.

There's a similar box set of Doors albums avaialable with the album fake thing.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I own the limited versions of both Some Girls and Sticky Fingers. I've never seen any of the albums presented this way.

James RD

Supporting Actor
I have "Sticky Fingers" with the zipper and "Exile on Main St." in the original format. I believe the only other one they released this way was "Some Girls". They are all still around. I think I saw them listed at Amazon.

I just checked. All three are available. Look for limited edition [original recording remastered].

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
All the Stones' albums from Sticky Fingers through Tattoo You appeared in this format. That includes:

Exile

Goat's Head Soup

It's Only Rock 'n' Roll

Black and Blue

Some Girls

Emotional Rescue

They didn't release these kinds of packages for Undercover, Dirty Work, or Steel Wheels...

Paul D Young

Second Unit
That's great because I was planning on stopping at Tattoo You. I didn't think much of what came after that. I guess I'll keep searching then.

KrisM

Second Unit
I have all eight of them. Besides Sticky Fingers the best ones are Some Girls with the cut-out sleeve with the Stone's faces and Exile On Main Street which includes replicas of the postcards that were included with the original. When I say 'best' I am refering to the packaging. I agree that it can be a pain to get the CD out of these packages and after repeated use they might wear out a little. The two that I listen to the most(Sticky and Exile), I keep in a regular jewel case for easy access.

Another Stones disc that has cool packaging is Rock And Roll Circus. It has a slip case and a 40 page booklet. Not exactly an essential purchase though.

Regards

KrisM

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
sounds pretty cool. did they ever put the famous faces back on the cover of Some Girls? I have the initial release with the faces which looks pretty weird on the inside cover. Guess they never asked the stars before they put it out

Paul D Young

Second Unit
O.K. Now I've started collecting these (mostly from ebay) and I realize that there are two versions of some (all?) of them. Some come in a smaller cardboard sleeves that slide into a hard plastic CD jewel case and some are in bigger cardboard without the hard plastic case. The two versions of replica LP sleeves are different sizes which make it quite confusing to find the correct ones because if the people who are selling them do not know there are two versions then they will not indicate which version it is.

So I found the following in the hard plastic case versions:

Sticky Fingers

Exile On Main Street

Goat's Head Soup

It's Only Rock 'n' Roll

Black and Blue

Some Girls

Emotional Rescue

Tattoo You

and the following in the larger cardboard only versions:

Sticky Fingers

Exile On Main Street

Some Girls

Do you know if all the same titles were released in both versions because I can stop hunting for the larger cardboard only versions if I am wasting my time.

Jason_H

Second Unit
I have only ever seen Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street, and Some Girls in the larger format. I'm pretty sure those are the only albums that got that particular treatment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks