What's new

Rolling Stones "Four Flicks" 11-11-03 (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey

Stunt Coordinator
Jim (and everyone),

This looks to be a dream release for Stones lovers. Check out the contents (which reflect the nature of the tour which played a mixture of arenas, stadiums and clubs).

DVD 1 contains 2 documentaries: "Tip Of The Tongue" (May to August 2002, from recording in Suresnes near Paris to the Toronto rehearsals) and "Licks Around The World" (the Licks Tour). The other DVDs cover the shows in Madison Square Garden (New York, 18 Jan. 2003), Twickenham Rugby Ground (London, 24 Aug. 2003) and the Olympia Theater (Paris, 11 July 2003).

Disc 1:

Additional concert footage:

Circus Krone Theatre:

Can't Turn You Lose

Amsterdam:

Saint of Me, Miss You

Wiltern Theatre:

Beast of Burden, You Don't Have To Mean It, Rock Me Baby, Bitch

Disc 2: Madison Square Garden 1-18-03

Street Fighting Man
If You Can't Rock Me
Don't Stop
Monkey Man
Angie
Let It Bleed
Midnight Rambler
Thru and Thru
Happy
You Got Me Rocking
Can't You Hear Me Knockin'
Honky Tonk Woman
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
It's Only Rock N' Roll
When The Whip Comes Down
Brown Sugar
Sympathy For The Devil

Disc 3

London (Twickenham Rugby Ground) 8-24-03

Brown Sugar
You Got Me Rockin'
Rocks Off
Wild Horses
Can't Always Get What You Want
Paint It Black
Tumblin' Dice
Slipping Away
Sympathy For The Devil
Star Star
I Just Want To Make Love To You
Street Fighting Man
Gimme Shelter
Honky Tonk Woman
Jumping Jack Flash

Disc 4

Olympia Theater, Paris 7-11-03
Start Me Up
Live With Me
Neighbours
Hand of Fate
No Expectations
Worried About You
Doo Doo Heartbreaker
Stray Cat Blues
Dance Part 1
Everybody Needs Someone To Love
That's How Strong My Love Is
Going To A Go Go
The Nearness of You
Before They Make Me Run
Love Train
Respectable
Honky Tonk Woman
Brown Sugar
Jumping Jack Flash

Other goodies on the set:

-Select-a-Stone : Angle footage on select songs.

- Audio commentary : Hear the band discuss their songs.

- Backstage pass : Behind the scenes footage.

Sound:

Dolby 5.1 surround and PCM stereo.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Very ambitious set - I can't wait to get it. This should really set the standard for concerts on DVD.

My only disappointment? The inclusion of the Paris small show instead of the concert at Roseland in NYC. I attended the latter and thought it was easily the best Stones shows I've seen. (Been to 36 of them, BTW.) Perhaps the Paris concert is on the same level - guess I'll find out next week!

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
IS the MSG show the one shown on HBO earler this year? I enjoyed that thoroughly.

BGL

David Fisher

Stunt Coordinator
Rolling Stones at Roseland? That would be a great show, I bet. Here are some reviews for the Paris show. They are positive. Mostly. I'll be picking up copies for myself and my dad when this one hits. Wow.

Audio commentary from the band? I love Keith, but he's incoherent on a good day. Has anybody ever seen the video of Hunter S. Thompson interviewing Keith Woods? It's a lot of fun, but I have no idea what they talk about.

Here are a couple quotes from the Paris show reviews:

How can you do 22 songs in less than two hours? I will tell you - just play them fast and don't let them hang around till forever...

Those songs! Jagger was soo great this show, he didn't spare his voice, like on Worried and That's how strong. Tears in my eyes. My wish was to hear those songs and I got them, and done fantastically, like only the Stones can. I love them for it. Neighbours, Respectable, Stray Cat, Rip this joint, Nearness, o my God, how wonderful. I thought I was dreaming. Keith really came through, played some fantastic pieces. Charlie coming to the front and saying he wanted to sing. All rehearsed for the DVD (he stood up and stepped down from his drums just before he was introduced, lol), but unique and funny. I felt special. We all did.

We got 22 songs ; I did very much enjoy the show and still I have mixed emotions. My love for the Stones pinnacles on the wall of guitars. Songs such as Midnight Rambler(every tour), 1981/82 shows with many instrumental parts with saxophone and guitars(Hampton 81). Flashpoint's SFTD, No security's Out of Control ; Such songs are why I like the Stones. Unfortunately I had to find out that FOR ME there was no magic in the guitar playing at the Olympia. Woody's volume was turned down and could hardly be heard. Keith was only capable to play mean "chuck berry" licks.
The Stones didn't play MR or CYHMK (while the intention was to play that song) and because of that I was dissapointed. The evening made clear that Mick Jagger was the master of the evening and there were no runners' up. Chuck and Charlie played well. Darryl could have done better (Octaves in both Stray Cat Blues & Jumping Jack Flash made those songs so special).

(Ok, that one wasn't so positive...)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The DVD of the MSG show was the HBO broadcast, but it will be edited. The DVD's setlist is:

Street Fighting Man
If You Can't Rock Me
Don't Stop
Monkey Man
Angie
Let It Bleed
Midnight Rambler
Thru and Thru
Happy
You Got Me Rocking
Can't You Hear Me Knockin'
Honky Tonk Woman
It's Only Rock N' Roll
When The Whip Comes Down
Brown Sugar
Sympathy For The Devil

The DVD is missing four songs: Start Me Up, Tumbling Dice, Gimme Shelter and Jumping Jack Flash. Much the same way I support OAR, I support concert releases that are indeed releases of the entire show. Being that the whole thing was broadcast on HBO and that they have the footage, it seems dreadfully stupid to cut out songs. I understand that there will be some repeats from disc to disc because of similar setlists, but as someone who was at the MSG show I'd like to actually have the full thing.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Rolling Stones at Roseland? That would be a great show, I bet.
And you'd win that bet! As I alluded earlier, it was amazing. As much as I love the Stones, I don't think they're ever truly great live these days. I think they're very good, but not genuinely great.

At Roseland, they weren't just great - they were jaw-droppingly great. They displayed a passion and fervor I didn't think they could muster these days. Cripes, during "Jumpin' Jack Flash" it got so intense I feared they start to beat each other with their guitars!

Like I said, best of 36 Stones shows I've attended, and whatever the #2 concert is, it's a DISTANT second...

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Eh, forgot to stop at Best Buy today. Anyone had a chance to dive into this set yet?

Ron Kaye

Agent
Dream release?

Not quite.

Dream release would be 4 concerts from the 60s ...

They're quite competent nowadays, but nowhere near great.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
This release adds about 18 songs to my Stones filmography.
Got the box for just $22.00 after some credit deal that BB had given me a few months ago.
The video is not all it should be, and no it's not 1969 anymore, and yes, the estate of Hoagy Carmichael might sue Keith...

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
All three concerts have DD5.1 and PCM stereo audio. The New York "Arena" and Paris "Theater" shows are presented in 4:3. The London "Stadium" show is presented in anamorphically enhanced 16:9. The documentary is presented in 4:3 and PCM stereo audio. The bonus concert performances on the documentary disc are 16:9 enhanced widescreen except for the tour rehearsal clips which are 4:3.

There are about 3-4 songs excised from each show.

To me, at least, 4:3 makes sense for the New York show since it was being shot for live broadcast with over 2-dozen cameras. It was probably impractical to go hi-def with that much coverage, so they shot it in standard definition in the 4:3 ratio.

There are a couple of minor anomalies with the London "Stadium" disc. The opening montage is pretty clearly 4:3 video squeezed to 16:9, but as soon as they cut to the actual concert, everything looks great. Also, there is a supplement where they show the "Honky Tonk Woman" performance interspersed with direct clips of the animation played on the big screen behind the band. The performance parts are the same as in the concert proper, but everytime it switches to the video, it is distorted from 4:3 to 16:9. No biggie in either case, but hey, if I can't be anal retentive on the forum, where can I be. :)

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks