What's new

Rolling Stone's 50 Uncoolest Records (That We Love) (1 Viewer)

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
The criterion seems to be bathos. And I can't stand any of those albums. What the hell does "Early Beatles crossed with early Chipmunks" really mean? If only Lester Bangs were still around.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Most people have gone through my record/cd collection have stopped at my Harry Nilsson Collection and have given me the Wha....????

But in the immortal words from the Iron on decal from the 'Son of Dracula Soundtrack', BITE ME!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
What in hell kind of comment is "The Babe Ruth of pussy music?" (The Best of Bread)

Their comments about the Fifth Dimension were pretty racist, IMO.

Burt Bacharach: Reach Out: "The best ELEVATOR MUSIC you've ever heard..." Who writes this crap? I'll be buying this UNironically in protest.

And they said something good about Hanson, which means this list is of no use to me. I don't need a mass-marketed publication defining what is "cool."

And some of the adjectives I found offensive.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Matthew,
I'm not sure you took the list in the spirit it was intended. The comments were coming from the perspective of someone who loves the album but feels compelled to also be dismissive so as not to appear uncool to others. The hypocrisy of panning something that entertained you in ways you are embarassed to admit lies at the heart of nearly every entertainment "journalist". :)
Anyhow, I was pleased to see that they put The Louvin Brothers "Satan is Real" on the list. I find it compulsively listenable, but don't necessarily feel like advertising it to my friends.
Regards,

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
For the record, I have about 12 of the Uncool 50 in my CD collection (which is about how many of the "cool" albums I have (and I have 2000 CDs).

The Burt Bacharach album is pretty good. I don't understand what's so uncool about "Breakfast in America," and anybody who disses BÖC's Secret Treaties deserves a mouthful of fingers. (And I'm tired of the Monkees getting a bad rap. Listen to Headquarters of Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn, and Jones!)

The only thing uncool about this list is its creation.

And it was a bitch to sort through the list!

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I'm not sure you took the list in the spirit it was intended
Well I know I looked at the list in the spirit it was intended , thats why it didn't make any sense.
Yes there were some bad albums there, but some were just, at worst, dated. I kind of got irritated with the whole thing..it just was inconsistent. Biz Markee, again misunderstood by the author of the article(list), or he wouldn't have included him. The Carpenters on the surface appear uncool, as I get older, I realize how dark their undercurrent really was, yes I just said that:)
Bless

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks