What's new

"Rolling Stone" review of "Reservoir Dogs" (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
In the new issues (with the Vines on the cover), Peter Travers reviews the Reservoir Dogs DVD. Bizarrely, his only comment about the new transfer states that it offers "colors that pop like a whore's lip gloss". Anybody else think he came up with that line BEFORE he watched the DVD and didn't bother to change it? Hey, I generally LIKED the transfer, but even I can't state that it displayed rich and vivid colors.

I think it's tacky for him to review this DVD at all since he participated in the extras. He mentions this in the review, but it still smacks of a conflict of interest...

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I've seen him use that phrase before. He probably didn't watch it & just decided to cut-n-paste. What a hack.

-Dave

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
The fact that he's featured on the disc probably had something to do with his review.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Travers is actually a respected critic. Would Ebert's significant presence on Warner's Citizen Kane disc disqualify him from saying nice things about it in the Sun-Times or on his show?

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
A DIRECT QUOTE from the back of the Mulholland Drive DVD:
"'There's nothing like this baby anywhere! This sinful pleasure is a fresh triumph for Lynch, and one of the best films of the year. Visionary daring, swooning eroticism and colors that pop like a whore's lip gloss! ' says Rolling Stone's Peter Travers.
Wow. He must have run out of descriptive adjectives.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Travers is actually a respected critic. Would Ebert's significant presence on Warner's Citizen Kane disc disqualify him from saying nice things about it in the Sun-Times or on his show?
If I actually believed that Travers WATCHED the Dogs DVD, I'd probably not care. The extras for it are excellent, so I can't accuse him of faking passion for them. However, when someone refers to that DVD's dull hues as looking so vivid, it seems clear that he didn't watch it and he's just acting as a shill. As I noted, even the DVD's defenders don't claim it offers vibrant hues.

It also seems suspicious that he discusses Dogs but fails to mention the other two QT DVDs from August. I just think the whole thing seems very suspicious...

Sebastian_A

Stunt Coordinator
Or perhaps Mr. Travers is just one not-to-be-taken-serious reviewer of a not-to-be-taken-serious-anymore magazine???

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Or perhaps Mr. Travers is just one not-to-be-taken-serious reviewer of a not-to-be-taken-serious-anymore magazine???
That's where my vote lies. I think it was entirely fitting that the commentary track with the three film critics on Reservoir Dogs accompanies the pan-and-scan presentation of the movie: Both are absolutely worthless.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Sounds like he knows more about picking up hookers than he does reviewing movies. Perhaps he should do us all a favor and switch careers.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Yo that's hysterical! I mean, who intentionally uses the phrase "Whore's Lip Gloss" in print twice in a 12-month period? (Answer? No one.) I'm a penny-ante critic, and MY editors would call me on it were I that lazily redundant.

I don't like to say nasty things about critics, because it may seem like sour grapes coming from a measly 'freelancer'...but I think this thread has effectively offered some accurate insights into the work of Peter Travers.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Read a number of his reviews and note the amount of oral sex references. I'm not kidding. It's like the guy has a fixation.

I haven't gotten the disc yet (based on the reviews of the transfer, I'm wishing I hadn't sold my old DVD), but didn't know that the critic's commentary is only on the P&S version of the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks