What's new

Rolling Stone Critics Picks for 2002 and the Donnas (1 Viewer)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Rolling Stone magazine just released it's top ten list for CD's released in 2002. Each critic gave their personal favorites. A lot of great music on these lists (Coldplay, Wilco, etc) and some not so great (Justin Timberlake???), but a new female rock band called the Donnas were mentioned a couple times in the article. Having really liked the first single "Take it off", I cruised by my local Best Buy to check it out tonight. This album is really FUN with a capital F. The sound is very reminiscent of early Bon Scott AC/DC with a little early KISS thrown in on some of the guitar licks. I am pretty impressed with this album...very catchy and groovy. Four hot chicks playing hard rock music with songs that deal primarily with sex. What could be better than that?
The link to the article is here
Thoughts on the respective lists? Comments? Discussion. Beck is listed on a lot of the lists, as is Springsteen.

MatS

Screenwriter
a) Rolling Stone magazine as a source for good music recommendations is about as worthwhile as Playboy is to a blind man, though looking at the list it does show the critics are listing bands they would never spend the time to talk about in their magazine. Guess it's their one time of the year to try and appear hip and relevant.

b) the Donnas are hardly a 'new' female rock band. They have 4 + releases on Lookout Records (yeah you know the label that had 2 Green Day records before everyone decided they were a new band) and a full length on Super*Teem Records that came out before their most recent Atlantic debut

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Sorry about that. I buy and listen to a lot of music and I'd never heard of them. Hadn't even come across any underground buzz about them on the forums. Oh well, they are new to me and super cool so maybe I will check out some of their earlier stuff. Pardon my ignorance!

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
They started playing in the area when they were 14- 15
I have most of their early stuff and it's all good. If you like them, look for the Ramonas. A friend of mine use to play in the band, almost had a reunion at a xmas party but 2 couldn't make it at the last minute

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks