Rollerblades: Looking for advice on brands, problems, etc.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Drue Elrick, Jun 21, 2002.

1. Drue Elrick

Drue Elrick Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking to buy some rollerblades and some protection (wrist guards, knee-pads). I was wondering if anyone can pass on their recommendations on good and bad brands. Anything to avoid or look for, etc.

Thanks!

2. Gary Hensley

Gary Hensley Stunt Coordinator

I am a fairly avid rollerblader and really like K2's. I have apair of Flight ALX that I bought three years ago that have held up very well and are comfortable to wear. There is a local bike trailer here that I blade 12 miles on and have never once gotten a blister.

I do wear wrist protectors but I haven't worn my knee or elbow ones in a long time.

3. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Love my Roces blades, which I've had for three years. [​IMG] Not only do I skate on trails, I use them frequently during the warm weather months for inline hockey. Even with all that abuse, they are still going strong with no evidence of them breaking down. The boot is very comfortable with a combination lace/ratchet latch closure system. [​IMG]
    Good idea to get the wrist and knee guards. But don't forget a helmet. Most people that don't wear them say that they don't want to look like dorks. But if it protects your head from even a single fall, it'll be the best investment you ever made.

4. MikePeroni

MikePeroni Stunt Coordinator

Drue, Ive been bladin' about 8 years or so. First of all, definitely wear wrist guards, knees guards, and a helmet. If you have any inclination of getting into any serious roller hockey in addition to fitness skating I would get a lace-up, hockey style boot. Top brands are Mission(which I use), CCM, and Bauer.

Ive learned the hard way that a recreational/fitness skate will break or crack playing hockey. Plus, imagine taking a slapper off your foot wearing a 'soft' boot.

Whichever way you go, dont go cheap. Its like anything else, you get what you pay for and you wont be comfortable in a 80.00 skate.

Finally, find some nice, smooth blacktop or asphalt to practice on. Stretch good, then work on a nice smooth forward stride. In time you can start working on your turns. Only once your forward motions are smooth should you try skating backwards, as backward techniques take alot of time and patience to master. Good luck and dont be afraid to fall(Thats part of learning).
    Mike