What's new

Roku TV: End credits go to small window (1 Viewer)

Greg Lovern

Stunt Coordinator
I asked this on the Roku community forum but no response, so I thought I'd try here.

On our Roku TV, when we reach the end credits of a streamed movie, sometimes it goes to a small window, and the rest of the screen becomes an promotion for some random other movie. When that happens, how do we get the end credits of the movie we were watching to go back to using the whole screen?

If we reverse, it happens again. If we press the Back button, it goes to the information screen for the movie, and if we play, it start the movie from the beginning.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
You should be able to click on the credits when that happens. That’s what I do to go back to full screen.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Just highlight the window and select it. It's unfortunately a feature not a bug.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
This is why I miss the days when movie credits were all at the beginning of the film where people would actually see them. It's also why I miss the days when TV actually played the end credits of TV shows.

We beat this up recently in the Disney+ thread. It does the same thing. Majorly annoying.

Apparently common among the streaming services. Jesse Skeen posted this link that explains the tech that Netflix developed to do it automatically.

https://medium.com/netflix-techblog/extracting-contextual-information-from-video-assets-ee9da25b6008

Thanks a pantload, Netflix.

On a list of inventions that I wish could be un-invented, that's right up there with high-fructose corn syrup.

Last edited:

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I've written Netflix several times about that (actual printed letters) but have gotten zero response. It's gotten to the point where the first thing I judge any service for is whether it actually lets you watch everything in its entirety. Streaming took subscribers away from cable partly because it had none of its annoyances, but it seems they are now finding new and innovative ways to spoil the experience on streaming. The Skip Intro prompt is also unacceptable- I get that some people are impatient and want to skip it, but they should be able to do that without that prompt appearing onscreen. (I always skip ads on YouTube because of the "Skip Ad" that displays during them, sometimes covering important details. But overall YouTube usually provides the best viewing experience and it's FREE!)

Incidentally I just watched The Simpsons over the air, which has been airing with NO network bug and full end credits every time. I get that they cut credits short on TV since every second is potential commercial time, but there's no reason to do that on streaming where there is unlimited time and no schedules to keep.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Incidentally I just watched The Simpsons over the air, which has been airing with NO network bug and full end credits every time. I get that they cut credits short on TV since every second is potential commercial time, but there's no reason to do that on streaming where there is unlimited time and no schedules to keep.

Not to mention it's a service you paid for. Akin to paying for a single cable channel if such a thing were possible. If I did that, I'd expect no commercials.

Does anyone know if this is also an issue with media center software like Plex? The free version perhaps? I plan to explore network storage options this year and this is exactly the kind of thing I'd like to know going in.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Someone is waiting to get rich with hacked apps for Roku devices that can disable all that crap. There are a few plug-ins for Netflix but those only work on PCs, which I would never watch a movie through because I want the full picture and sound quality (which people who eagerly skip credits likely don't care about.) I've never even owned a VCR that had a forced "PLAY" display onscreen the first few seconds. I haven't used Plex but the only issue I would see with that is it might have a forced time display onscreen when starting a video (Vudu has that but it can be quickly turned off right when starting a movie, one small inconvenience I'm willing to tolerate as it's right at the beginning with nothing else after that.)

In the meantime, may I point out this petition, which I have nothing to do with:
https://www.change.org/p/netflix-we-want-to-watch-the-credits-netflixcredits

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks