What's new

Roku Introduces Retail Streaming Guide, Voice Search (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)]Howdy, streamers. We’re excited to share two updates today – the next phase of search and discovery on the Roku platform and upgrades to two of our [/COLOR]popular streaming players[COLOR= rgb(51, 51, 51)].[/COLOR]
A Simple Way for Consumers to Find, Discover and Select Entertainment – On Their Terms
Roku is known for having the most comprehensive and unbiased search – find what you want to watch and decide how to watch it. Search for movies, TV shows, actors and directors and receive all available results listed by price from top streaming channels, up to 17 today. With 250,000 movies and TV episodes available for streaming, Roku Search is a convenient way for consumers to view filmographies and discover availability and pricing options they otherwise wouldn’t have known about.
Today we are adding the ability to search within the Roku Channel Store by streaming channel name, making it fast and easy to find favorites like CBS News, HBO GO and Sling TV – to name a few of the more than 2,000 streaming channels available today.
We’re also introducing a new feature called “Roku Feed” that lets people follow entertainment they want to watch. We’re launching it with a focus on “Movies Coming Soon,” ending the guessing game around when a box office hit is available for streaming, which services offer the movie or how much it costs at a given time. The new “My Feed” shortcut can be found on the Roku home screen.

New Roku 3 and Roku 2 Streaming Players Offer Superior Streaming Performance
We’ve made the best streaming players on the market even better!
The new Roku 3 now includes voice search adding a fun, fast way for people to search for what they want to watch. Like its predecessor, the new Roku 3 is the company‘s top-of-the-line streaming player. It is fast and fully loaded with features. The included enhanced remote control features a button to activate voice search, a headphone jack to enable private listening and motion control to play casual games. The new Roku 3 is available today from Roku.com and retailers nationwide for an MSRP of $99.99.
The new Roku 2 matches the speed and performance of the new Roku 3 and is the perfect streaming player for those who want to watch video and music without the new Roku 3 enhanced remote. The new Roku 2 is available today from Roku.com and retailers nationwide for an MSRP of $69.99.
Updated Roku Mobile App and New Features Available Starting Today
The software rollout that delivers the Roku Feed and Channel Store search features to all current-generation* Roku players and Roku TV models begins today and is expected to be completed by the end of April.
An updated version of the free Roku Mobile App for Android is available today and iOS will be available this week. This update includes support for the new search and discovery features.
Happy Streaming!
SOURCE: ROKU BLOG

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
As soon as they announce the Roku 4 with those features (like them) and 4K and 3D, I'll be the first to order.....

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Was at my brother's house a couple of weeks ago and he showed me the Roku 3 in action. He loves it mainly because he will use this and cancel his cable subscription. I did not really watch much on it or take any time to explore the channels and programming available on it so can't really comment on that. He highly recommended I get one and felt that cable and satellite services would suffer huge losses as people run to the much cheaper Roku package that offers loads of at your finger tips programming at literally a fraction of the cost.

I will say that after my brother's sales job on this I went and looked at the programming available on it at their Roku channels website briefly. There is, as he said, loads of free programming available on it. Much of it seems to be a lot of public domain television and film titles and I'm not to sure how great these look streaming on your television.

Anybody using this at the moment that cares to provide their thoughts on it?

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I added the Roku 3 about a month ago and I really enjoy it. I have Verizon as my internet provider and the Roku is really fast when it comes to loading your content for viewing. Free content is pretty reasonable, but when you have HuluPlus, Netflix, SlingTV and OTA programming in beautiful HD, it really does delete the need to have cable or satellite.

My satellite bill with HD-DVR and connection for 5 TV’s was 186.00. I now pay 7.99 for Hulu, 7.99 for Netflix and 24.00 for SlingTV for a total of 39.98 a month. SlingTV is a live TV. stream of several channels like Elrey network, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, ESPN sports, HGTV, EPIX (1-3 & Drive-in channel), IFC and a few others.

The video quality is pretty good and based on your internet speed. Cox's internet is so expensive without a bundle and since I am so close to a switcher for Verizon and Fios is not available in my area, I am rocking DSL and really incredible speeds. The Roku really compliments the X-Box One, the Wii U and the Wii as it enables me to stream in my bedroom. My wife wasn't convinced until recently she was told by her classmates in nursing school how they have the Roku and has cut the cable to save money. I went with the Roku 3 because at the time it was on sale for 89.99 at Best Buy and faster the Roku 2 as per some reviews over the internet. I say go for it. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the free games you can play on your TV. like Angry Birds, Tetris, etc. A huge selection of channels that is free like Crackle, Popcorn Theater and even a Kung Fu Channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks