Roku dropping Fox apps (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
First AT&T/DirecTV apps, now Fox, both reported as "carriage disputes."

Yet Roku claims they have no influence on getting app providers like Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, etc. to fix issues that users are reporting (such as lack of Atmos on Netflix, lack of 4K for non-HDR displays on Disney+).

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
This doesn't make much sense to me, so you need a "carriage" deal to develop an app for Roku and these expire? I thought Roku had an app store not a broadcast platform. I mean, any one can pay the developer fees and create a tvOS app. Same with Google. Fox creates and submits their apps to those app stores, no other "agreement" needed as far as I know. I'm just confused because I thought Roku was the same way.

Last edited:

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
This doesn't make much sense to me, so you need a "carriage" deal to develop an app for Roku and these expire? I thought Roku had an app store not a broadcast platform. I mean, any one can pay the developer fees and create a tvOS app. Same with Google. Fox creates and submits their apps to those app stores, no other "agreement" need as far as I know. I'm just confused because I thought Roku was the same way.
I agree completely. If you've ever had to contact Roku regarding a problem with a particular app (or channel as Roku likes to call them), they will refer you to the app developer before you even finish describing the issue you are having.

If Roku would threaten to remove Netflix because audio is limited to 5.1 and refuses to support Atmos, I bet Atmos support would get pushed through immediately.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Got an email around 11pm Friday night from Roku saying the dispute has been resolved.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I didn’t get the first email but did get the resolved email today.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rémi
Recent bookmarks