What's new

Rohmer's 6 Moral Tales from Criterion (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
The boxed set will be released by Criterion on August 15th, according to tomorrow's New York Times. Seduced and Abandoned is coming from Criterion on August 22nd.

I have been waiting for those Eric Rohmer films for a LONG time as most existing transfers have been appalling -- especially the Pox-Lorber ones in R1. For me, anyway, the the thought of having films like Claire's Knee from Criterion is a dream come true, and the DVD release of the year.

Ted

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
That's fantastic news.

It's hard to believe that it's taken this long for a Rohmer film to appear in Criterion's catalogue, but they sure are making up for it with this set.

The Girl at the Monceau Bakery (La Boulangére de Monçeau)
Suzanne's Career (La Carriére de Suzanne)
The Collector (La Collectionneuse)
My Night at Maud's (Ma nuit chez Maud)
Claire's Knee (Le Genou de Claire)
Chloe in the Afternoon (L'Amour l'après-midi)

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Oh man, this is great news.

If only they will get to releasing some of the other series in box sets. I've been tempted to buy some of the R3 versions, that don't even have subtitles, because there are a couple of his I have never seen, have never been released with subtitles anywhere.

Can't wait though. Rohmer is probably my favorite director. I own them on tape, on DVD, and now for a second time.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Been waiting for this announcement for a long time. I know it's not uncommon for a lot of HTF'ers but this set will mark my first ever triple dip for Love in the Afternoon.

While I also hope for a Criterion Comedies et Proverbs box, I can wait for hi-def to upgrade my Arrow Films r2 box. I'd rather see Criterion release some of his films that have never made it to DVD like Four Adventures of Reinette & Mirabelle or The Tree, The Mayor, and the Mediatheque or the not on DVD in R1 Autumn Tale.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
the criterion nazis at the criterion forums have been carping for months about the slate this year, maybe this'll shut them up. :) I'll happily take Dazed and Confused myself. :)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Since MGM (Sony) has Pauline at The Beach & Tale of Springtime neither a Comedies nor a Seasons Criterion box is possible.

However, an "Everything We Could Get The Rights To" box would be just dandy. To add to your list, Tale of Winter and Paris Rendezvous are especially welcome. I hope you've gotten a chance to see Tale of Winter -- it is one of his best.

And hey, don't worry about triple dipping -- when it comes to Rohmer I have quadruple dipped :frowning: (And due to the fact that I keep seeing his films on 35mm, I haven't even watched some of his DVDs... Well at least I make my friends happy -- they sure watch them).

Ted

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

THE TREE has rarely been shown in the US. Never had an official release, not even a VHS release. I managed to get an unsubtitled VHS from Canada years ago, and I don't speak French all that well. So, I'd love that.

And FOUR ADVENTURES is one of my faves of his (and I love them all). I think I own two VHS copies of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks