Blu-ray Review Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Matt Hough, Mar 30, 2017.

1. jcroy

jcroy Cinematographer

jr
    So far the only segments I liked from rogueone, are the Darth Vader and Tarkin ones.

2. gadgtfreek

gadgtfreek Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Jason
    I thought it started slow and jumped around, but once it got goin hang on. Great movie.

3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I'm right behind Jason. I watched it for the first time tonight.

It was a whole lot of fun. The first two thirds WAS hard to keep everything/everyone straight. But that final third was SO MUCH FUN! :D

gadgtfreek likes this.
  4. ijthompson

ijthompson Stunt Coordinator

Jordan
    I think they need to start reigning in these character names a bit. Sure the originals had lots of crazy names, but it was easier to deal with the Greedos and Lobots while hanging on to the easily-relatable Luke, Leia, and Han.

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

It was something, too, to finally see the much-discussed Peter Cushing sequence. Pretty amazing stuff. My impression is that it just seemed a little "off" like a lip-sync or the audio got off from the video about a half-second or so. But it is becoming crazy as to what film-makers are able to do these days.

Osato likes this.
  6. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Screenwriter

Wayne
    I found the story to be better in Rogue One, but the characters were way more memorable in The Force Awakens.

aPhil likes this.
  7. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    Agreed on both counts. But there is a simple reason for all of that in my book:

The Force Awakens was basically A New Hope all over again. Rogue One was a new story, though we knew how it had to end.

The characters: TFA used established characters to introduce new ones. That's why Poe and Finn are so memorable (and they have fairly easy names). Rogue One uses some secondary established characters, but that's it. And the names...I still don't remember them...

8. Osato

Osato Producer

Some interesting thoughts from the digital bits after celebration:

Okay… Star Wars Celebration weekend has ended with… well, not much in the way of Blu-ray release news related to the Star Wars films. Not that we expected any, per our recent posts, but still. Lucasfilm’s John Knoll did show off some interesting behind the scenes material on The Making of Rogue One panel at the event, including a rare extended cut of the Death Star briefing room scene from the original Star Wars, as well as virtual recreations of a number of classic Death Star settings that didn’t make the final cut of Rogue One, but there was no indication as to when (if ever) any of that material might be released on Blu-ray, nor was there any indication of a more elaborate Rogue One: Collector’s Edition Blu-ray release later this year. (The Making of Rogue One panel also doesn’t seem to have been live-streamed for some reason, though probably to keep the footage shown there from appearing online.) At any rate, it seems that Disney and Lucasfilm are just going to do whatever they’re going to do, with regard to releasing these films on Blu-ray, and fans will simply have to deal with it.

9. Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Screenwriter

Brad
    IMG_0144.JPG You know how many Targets I had to hit up to find this?
    This one I got from Breinigsville, PA Target (and I live in Florida). And I don't even have a 3D TV at this time:

Stephen_J_H, aPhil and Osato like this.
  10. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

Only one report I've read today and it could be a local deal -- Target restocking the RO 3D exclusive. I don't know if this is the beginning of a second print run, a few boxes that were located and now put out, stock being shifted from one store or another, but at least keep checking for those that are still in the market. Scalper's market is not yet the only route

My local stores are down to one saying it's in stock and "5 left in stock (down from 8 on Sunday)" (Brickseek is still far off)

Osato likes this.
  11. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I pre-ordered this online because, in my experiences with my local stores, the exclusives are never in stock in the actual store. It's about an hour subway ride to my nearest Target and it's just not worth a two hour round trip (plus time spent in the store) to gamble on whether or not they'll have the item. When I used to live closer and it was on my way home, sure, but now I'll either pre-order it or forget about having it. I'd recommend anyone who really feels a need to have one of these exclusive Target releases (as opposed to feeling like "would be nice to have but not going out of my way for it") preorder online and not wait to see if their store will have it or not.

Osato likes this.
  12. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    Received the UK 3D BD release yesterday and can confirm it is all region.

Osato likes this.
  13. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Gasim de Paris
    On the Beach comes to mind.

14. Alf S

Alf S Producer

Alfer
    Ft. Smith Target has 3 left if anyone is adventurous enough to travel there. :)

Osato likes this.