What's new

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So Target Rogue One has a 10-min, Standard Def bonus feature that costs $3?
How do they even make standard material anymore? Doesn't that take extra work to film in HD and then down-res to SD?

Is there any rational explanation from this?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So Target Rogue One has a 10-min, Standard Def bonus feature that costs $3?
How do they even make standard material anymore? Doesn't that take extra work to film in HD and then down-res to SD?

Is there any rational explanation from this?

The down-rezzing to SD is a very quick process. I don't think the running time of the Target bonuses has been confirmed yet, but it wouldn't take longer than real-time to do that conversion. Any footage shot in any format is going to end up being converted in some way when it's encoded for DVD or BD.

My guess is that DVD was the lowest-common denominator, so doing it as a DVD bonus meant that it could also be included with a Target-exclusive DVD, had they decided to make one. It also could have been about expense: BDs are more expensive to manufacture than DVDs, so they could have been trying to save money. As an additional possibility, there are less replication lines available for BD than DVD, so they may not have been able to arrange to get it manufactured in time.

My guess is that it was simply a penny-pinching gesture. When Paramount released a Target-exclusive version of Star Trek Beyond, that included exclusive bonus material on a BD disc. But in general, with Disney-owned Target exclusives, the bonus content has been digital-only, compared to releases from other studios, which generally provided an extra bonus disc. (With the Target exclusive Force Awakens release, the extra content was indeed digital-only.) There may have been a little bit of backlash about that among customers who were expecting an extra disc and couldn't find it, so this might be a way to cheaply rectify that. But, like most of these decisions, I'm fairly sure that no one will ever discuss it on the record, so we'll never know for sure.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The down-rezzing to SD is a very quick process. I don't think the running time of the Target bonuses has been confirmed yet, but it wouldn't take longer than real-time to do that conversion. Any footage shot in any format is going to end up being converted in some way when it's encoded for DVD or BD.
e.

Hopefully the run time and general contents should be confirmed tonight. The guess was based on posts made in some the pre-release websites about the expected content and runtimes on teh international releases.

First reports are now coming in from at least one person who got delivery today. On first glance it looks to be a decent match to the TFA 3D Edition.

EDIT-- confirmed content of Disc 5
Bonus Disc:
Inside The Creature Shop: 6:02
Digital Storytelling: 4:31

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Thank you for the review Matt, I very much enjoy reading your reviews.

Just like Force Awakens I really want this movie as well but as my collection grows and with finances not as good as they used to be. It becomes harder and harder to justify double dipping titles like I have done in the past. I have been upgrading some titles that are already in the library but I no longer wish to purchase new titles only to turn around and upgrade/replace them with 4K UHD versions. I am almost ready to go ahead and purchase Force Awakens only for the reason that it came out in 3D and I know the 4K version will not include the 3D blu-ray version. But I am hoping that Disney will start releasing 4K UHD titles hopefully by the end of the year so we can own Star Wars in 4K. I really do want this movie and it is going to suck having to wait till Disney joins the other studios in releasing 4K UHD.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
They'll say it's not the same item as Best Buy since there's different packaging and it doesn't have the bonus disc. Depending on how big of a public scene you're willing to make, a manager might knock the $3 off just to keep you happy. :)

Yeah, I figured that would probably be the case.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Are folks buying the 2D or 3D version? I'm tempted by the $20 BB 2D version. $25 for 3D is not a bad price, but I'm not sure I care about 3D for Star Wars. And BestBuy is cheaper than Target (I'd have paid for the bonus in HD, but not SD. Seriously, it's 2017.)

Of course, my movie library outstrips my viewing, so maybe I ignore this until Christmas and buy it for $15 :)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
If I buy ether one I will buy the 3D version as it should have the 2D version as well. I am trying to hold out for the 4K UHD release but we will see if I can hold out or not.

cb1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Like I asked for The Force Awakens, How was the 3D for Rogue One? I saw the move in the theater in 2D.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Same here. Guess Amazon doesn't want my money.
For extras, definitely Target. The Best Buy version has all of the same extras that appear on the standard edition, with the addition of the 3D disc. Only the Target version includes additional exclusive bonus features in addition to the 3D disc.

And thanks to this info from Josh and this thread, I will NOT be buying the DMC release of RO (declining my Featured Title selection). Instead I will opt for the Target 3D version even though I don't have a 3D set (though two of my 4 Blu-ray players have 3D capability). For that day when 3D might again be widely available or I may opt to add a 3rd TV as a 3D set.

Checking eBay or other search engines to see if there are any earlier Vizio 55M series around with 3D I could pick up cheaply.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Like I asked for The Force Awakens, How was the 3D for Rogue One? I saw the move in the theater in 2D.

I viewed it in 3D the first weekend and was unimpressed.
It adds depth only; that's about it.

By comparison, the TFA 3D is much more impressive.

I'm probably not going to make a decision on the 3D Blu-ray purchase until Tuesday morning; but right now I'm leaning toward the 2D iteration.

Reactions: cb1

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Forgive me if this has already been answered. Are there two versions of the Target BD for Rogue One, one with collectible packaging and multiple covers and a cheaper one with the bonus disc but basic packaging?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Forgive me if this has already been answered. Are there two versions of the Target BD for Rogue One, one with collectible packaging and multiple covers and a cheaper one with the bonus disc but basic packaging?

One version. Target will probably have the standard version onsale as well, but that won't include the bonus disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks