What's new

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) (1 Viewer)

Should Rogue One have the usual Star Wars crawl?

• Yes

Votes: 60 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 31.0%

• Total voters

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Hal Hickel, the animation director on Rogue One, has released a behind-the-scenes image of Darth Vader that didn't make it into the finished film. Apparently, there was a cut scene involving a conversation between Vader and Tarkin. Looks pretty badass:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Hal Hickel, the animation director on Rogue One, has released a behind-the-scenes image of Darth Vader that didn't make it into the finished film. Apparently, there was a cut scene involving a conversation between Vader and Tarkin. Looks pretty badass:

I could be wrong but it looks like he's looking at Jedha after they use the Death Star on it.

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I could be wrong but it looks like he's looking at Jedha after they use the Death Star on it.
Hard to tell since it appears to be a thermal scan of the surface. Some people on his Twitter feed think it's Mustafar.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
How could you be wrong with Star Wars information? :)
What's scary is that I'm a novice compared to some people. :)

Don't remember, didn't they already meet in the movie?
No, Vader isn't ever on the Death Star in the finished version of Rogue One so he and Tarkin don't share screen time. Vader's only scenes are in his castle on Mustafar when he talks to Krennic and then he's on his Star Destroyer when he arrives at Scariff at the end of the movie.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I thought that scene where he force chokes Krennic was over the top. He shouldn't be going around and force choke all the officers. It cheapens Vader. And if I remember correctly, Krennic kind of liked it!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I have a feeling Vader is kinda into it, too. ;)
Much like Jabba being into getting choked by Princess Leia in Return Of The Jedi.

I thought that scene where he force chokes Krennic was over the top. He shouldn't be going around and force choke all the officers. It cheapens Vader. And if I remember correctly, Krennic kind of liked it!
I don't really mind it in Rogue One but there was a scene of him choking Moff Jerjerrod in Return Of The Jedi that I'm glad they dropped because it's basically the same thing as when we saw him choking guys in the first two movies.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Was this something that was filmed? A genuine cut scene? Or is this an animated mock up of the scene?

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Was this something that was filmed? A genuine cut scene? Or is this an animated mock up of the scene?
I'm not sure, Sam. Mr. Hickel didn't make that clear in his post.

EDIT: I did a little digging through the replies to Hal's post, and he does indicate that the scene was shot but cut from the film:

1612450603574.png

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure, Sam. Mr. Hickel didn't make that clear in his post.

EDIT: I did a little digging through the replies to Hal's post, and he does indicate that the scene was shot but cut from the film:

View attachment 87986
Thinking more about it, it may be from the end of the movie and Vader is looking at Scarif burning up on the monitor. If I remember correctly, the scene with Vader killing all the rebels was shot only a few months before the movie came out so maybe before that scene was added, he was originally on the Death Star and this is a still from that scene.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
It doesn’t seem to be playing at the ONE IMAX screen in my state. Is it possible it just hasn’t been finalized yet or am I just SOL at this point? I would totally pay to see this again on a big screen!

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It doesn’t seem to be playing at the ONE IMAX screen in my state. Is it possible it just hasn’t been finalized yet or am I just SOL at this point? I would totally pay to see this again on a big screen!
I think the announcement said on 100 IMAX screens so there are several hundred that aren't getting it. It is also possible that the list of theaters aren't finalized yet.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
My A-list movie today was Rogue One in IMAX, which looked and sounded fantastic. The movie was even better than I remembered it, with from my pov only a few very small flaws, including that maybe the CGI Tarkin could have been better.

Loved the extended preview before the movie of the new show Andor, which looks great.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
maybe the CGI Tarkin could have been better.

FWIW, the Tarkin illusion is much more convincing for me in the 3D version of the film than the 2D. I have no idea why that is but the first time I saw the film was in 3D and I was so convinced that I thought they had found the perfect lookalike. Then I saw it in 2D and could see that it was an illusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks