What's new

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) (1 Viewer)

Should Rogue One have the usual Star Wars crawl?

• Yes

Votes: 60 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 31.0%

• Total voters

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Guys I am really digging the Rogue One soundtrack. Truly awesome. One of my favorites is "Your Father Would Be Proud". IMO its one of the great Star Wars tracks. Actually there are several that are terrific. Purchased the high rez digital download and its impressive. Not a huge improvement over the CD. Maybe a tad more open sounding and more dynamic range.

Anyway I think most here probably have the score already but if not go get it. :)

I can't freaking wait to have this on 4K soon.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I figure they should have it that she is forced to do a suicide attack on her "son" Kylo Ren ( :rolleyes: ). She crashes her ship into his at the end, taking revenge for him killing Han Solo, an actual decent character. KR Jelly's ship explodes, reducing him to atoms, thereby boosting the quality of the next installments by 10,000 percent. Talk about a screen exit: going out in a blaze of glory while, at the same time, saving the Star Wars franchise from the continued appearance of a terrible character.

If I saw that, I would go out for a drink after and make a toast to the greatest screen heroine ever.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Interesting article Tino...but I disagree ;) It was the characters and their plight that I bought into. Well acted and directed. When that is good and the story is good, I can buy in to the special FX and other things. But what sustains us is the story and people involved.

Thats kind of what effected the PT. Decent story but the characters needed more heft and less effects.

But yeah would love to see an unedited 3 hour Rogue One tho. :)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The characters were the weakest and least interesting part of Rogue One for me. I couldn't have cared less about any of them, particularly Jyn. The subjective nature of film appreciation never ceases to amaze me. :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Sorry Tim I agree with Doug. I didn't connect with any of the characters like I wanted to.

Still I liked the film a lot regardless. Happy it worked for you buddy. [emoji106]

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I enjoyed the characters very much. Jyn, Cassian, Chirit, Kaytoo, Baze, Saw, Krennic -- all of them had interesting angles to their story, and I cared about each of them. I was sad to see none of them make it out, which I would not have felt if I didn't care about them.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
It's interesting this talk about character development and depth. More so with the original trilogy, but also with R1, Star Wars relies on archetypes (some might say cliches), which provide a certain degree of shorthand as far as the character development. The comparisons of R1 to a WW2 'Dirty Dozen' type film is spot-on, so my expectations for character depth were consistent with that.

I admit I was a bit shocked by Cassian killing his informant so readily, which told me more than anything the film would be darker. The character later saying they had done things for the rebellion they are not proud of but rationalized for the cause, and all that moral compromise going to waste if they didn't go on the mission was a satisfying completion of that thread, and provided more depth than I anticipated.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
‘Rogue One’ Shows Disney Still Doesn’t Really Get ‘Star Wars’

Two movies in, Disney still hasn’t realized that it’s the characters that make “Star Wars” work

http://www.thewrap.com/rogue-one-disney-doesnt-get-star-wars-force-awakens/

I thought the characters in TFA were all great, especially Rey and Finn who I already enjoy more than Anakin and Padme. I think the trio of Han, Rey and Finn is almost on par with Han, Luke and Leia from ANH.

My thoughts on how to deal with Leia in IX. I honestly wouldn't mind her being killed off-screen; have the opening crawl of IX mention her transport being destroyed by the first order during a mission. Not ideal but, that would be fine with me instead of them trying to fake a performance.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
It's interesting this talk about character development and depth. More so with the original trilogy, but also with R1, Star Wars relies on archetypes (some might say cliches), which provide a certain degree of shorthand as far as the character development. The comparisons of R1 to a WW2 'Dirty Dozen' type film is spot-on, so my expectations for character depth were consistent with that.

I admit I was a bit shocked by Cassian killing his informant so readily, which told me more than anything the film would be darker. The character later saying they had done things for the rebellion they are not proud of but rationalized for the cause, and all that moral compromise going to waste if they didn't go on the mission was a satisfying completion of that thread, and provided more depth than I anticipated.

This was my takeaway as well. I felt like I got to know the characters just enough for what this was. Interestingly, I felt Krennic got the most development of the bunch, I really wanted Jyn to finish him off.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I really wanted Jyn to finish him off.
That was one of the things that I really liked about the ending- she initially and understandably wants to kill him but Cassian basically says that it doesn't matter at that point and she realizes that he's right. She let's it go because it'd be a waste to spend any more of their remaining moments on Krennic. Plus, it's better that he's destroyed by the laser blast from the Death Star.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
January 19, 2017...that is the first time I have been to the cinema in almost 8 years. My son who is 19 and has been home from college for Christmas break threw out the idea of he and I going to see Rogue One back in early December. Even though I took almost two weeks off during the holidays for whatever reason that never happened. Since he is headed back to school this weekend, I vowed to myself that I would do whatever it took to go to the movies with him. The clock is ticking with your (almost) grownup kids on how much time you get to spend together especially at their request. So I took the day off yesterday and he and I went to an 11 AM matinee at a Dolby Atmos equipped theater.

There was a total of 10 people at this showing. For me this is perfection as the main reason I stopped going to the theater was the amount of rude people ruining the experience outweighed the pleasure.

I have to say I am and have always been a Star Wars fan. When Episode IV - A New Hope was released I saw it in the theater 7 times - the most I've ever seen a movie in a theater. It was 1977, I had just graduated High School and the world was my oyster. As a freshman in college it was much to my dismay that it hit me I was once again at the bottom of the food chain - is there anything more naive than a college freshman? So familiar territory was a comfort - going to the movies. The Christmas Break for me that year, 1977, I talked my whole family into going to the theater to see this amazing film that was unlike anything I had ever seen. So, almost 40 years ago to the month, I was sitting in a darkened theater with my old man watching Star Wars. I was so excited thinking that he was going to be blown away with what was in store for him. He fell asleep.

Fast forward, 40 years. I am sitting in a darkened theater with my teenage son watching Rogue One A Star Wars story.

I did not fall asleep.

I loved everything about this film. I went in knowing nothing about it other then it was "set in the Star Wars universe". I read no reviews, I never read any part of this thread. Thank goodness. I could tick off the list of elements such as the characters, actors, sets, effects, etc but you all have done an amazingly through job of that already. I started reading through the thread last night and, honestly did not expect the amount of negativity. Its fine - everyone looks at things through their own lens and experiences. I guess I was just a little surprised.

I can't wait to see this again. On the big screen. Maybe when my son is back for Easter break.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks