What's new

Rogue Leader Lockups (1 Viewer)

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Hi,
I got a cube yesterday and I've been playing Rogue Leader. I'm on the battle of hoth mission and twice now the game has locked up at the same point. Right after you get into the X-wing to protect the transports the game just freezes. At first I thought it was just a fluke but it's done it twice now. Is my game defective or is it the console? I've been playing Resident Evil and have not had any issues so I tend to think it's the game. Anyone have any ideas?

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I did some research on the net and apparently it's a fairly common problem. I'm going to exchange it for another copy to see if that helps. I can't imagine it being the cube as I've not had any problems playing RE but I can always try exchanging that too. I'll let you all know if I have any luck.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Went ahead and exchanged it for another copy and it didn't lock up during Hoth. Weird indeed but it looks like I have a working copy now. Now, if I can get better at bombing with the Y wing ;)

Ike

Screenwriter
Mine has locked up once, but it hasn't repeated it, so I haven't bothered with replacing it.

Trevor Harveaux

Stunt Coordinator
Wow. I thought I was the only one. Back when all the systems were about to come out I borrowed a cube and a copy of the launch titles. The only one I was really interested in was Rogue Leader. But the game would often lock up on the Hoth level. Not allways, but enough to annoy the heck out of me. So from what I read, it's a problem in the disk pressing? I DIDN"T have a memory card in the system (makes it even more annoying) since I didnt want to buy one if I wasnt going to buy a cube.

I have to admit that is why I chose to get an XBOX over a cube, that and the sound, oh and the progressive scan. But I'll sure I'll grab a cube when winter hits again, Metroid looks sweet.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Brian,
I think some of it may be disc pressings though. Why else would one copy of the game freeze at one point every time while another copy does not? Neither had scratches on them so unless there were flaws under the surface of my first copy I think it has to do with pressings.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Why else would one copy of the game freeze at one point every time while another copy does not?
Because bugs are a magical magical thing.

Just getting another disk doesn't mean it's a "bad pressing" - console games are often 'bugfixed' between pressings. For example, the first batch of a game may have a nasty bug, the publisher gets it fixed, remastered & any subsequent pressings have the bug fixed. The consumer marks it up as a "bad disk" when it's blatantly a bug.

Fact - Rogue Leader crashes regularly. Fact - it had an /extremely/ short development cycle. Fact - the very recent UK release is just as buggy as the original US release.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Brian,
I wasn't clear in my original post. What I was eluding to was just what you stated. That there were either errors the making of my disc or that they fixed the bugs in a later batch of discs. When I refer to pressings I meant different batches of the game not problems in the actual creation of the game.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I don't know...i got it this weekend and have been playing it quite a bit and not a single lock up...

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I've been playing it since it was released and have not had one lock up yet. Although I just about snapped the disc in two once because of "Strike at the Core". :D

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
This game has got me swearing and threatening to toss controllers. Obviously no gameplay balancing went into it before they released it. It sure looks pretty though, but its an extremely "unfair" game.

I can't tell you how many times I've died because the ship went in the opposite direction all of a sudden than I was pushing. Or I've gotten run into by a tie fighter with full shields and I blow up! Whats up with that? I'm on the mission where I just crashed the star destroyer and have to defend a commando transport. I am trying to take down AT-AT's, but my harpoon cable keeps attaching then unattaching at random...there doesn't seem to be any logic to it. I didn't have any of these problems with the Hoth battle.

Is there difficulty settings? Maybe I missed it when I started...if so I'm gonna go back and play at extremely easy. Games are supposed to be fun right? Not yell at your TV frustrating...

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
Well, Mike, since you just got it this weekend it is going to take a little more time to master it. Give it time, you'll get the hang of it. I had a lot of trouble on Razor Rendezvous, Raid on Bespin, Strike at the Core and The Battle of Endor at first, but now the're a sinch (accept Strike at the Core, which is the hardest level in the game). Just wait till you start trying for Medals. ;)
Personally, I'm glad the game was hard, I got a lot more out of it that way. Good Luck and may the Force be with you. (Lame, I know :D)
By the way, there is only one difficulty setting.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
since you just got it this weekend it is going to take a little more time to master it. Give it time
hehehe...I don't have the attention span that I used to...I need instant gratification when it comes to video games these days :) Which is why I don't play final fantasy games anymore...takes way too long to get to something rewarding. At least with rogue leader it looks pretty.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I can't tell you how many times I've died because the ship went in the opposite direction all of a sudden than I was pushing. (etc)
Mike - I've not played Rogue Leader, but I have played Rogue Squadron (N64). I think its gameplay is very similar to that of RL.
There are invisible level boundaries around the perimeter of the mission-area. Hit them, and the ship is bounced back into the game world.
Crashing into an enemy fighter always destroys your ship, regardless of shields (unless it was a glancing hit). My roommate became quite proficient at taking out TIE fighters via kamikaze ;)
Taking down an AT-AT with the Harpoon gun is hard, until you get the knack. You have to fly a tight, smooth circle around the legs, making three full loops. If you stray too far from the AT-AT while looping, the cable will detach without warning. This aspect of the game drove me crazy until I finally got the system worked out. Then it became much easier. (Hold the joystick in one position making the fighter fly a nice circle.)
Contrary to some reviews, I found Rogue Squadron to be a difficult game. My roommate finally completed all the levels (I didn't), and it took a lot of time.
I really enjoyed RS and look forward to eventually playing RL. But they are not for the impatient or if you want instant gratification. These games, I think, take work :)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I picked up a 'Cube and RL on release day. I've gone through the game completely and never had it lock up once. Weird.

As for the difficulty, RL didn't seem any more difficult than other games I've played. It just takes a few tries to get through each mission. Keep at it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks