Rogers Video only gets Pan & Scam version of Silence of the Lambs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Well, it looks like the "Fullscreen" (man I hate that term) version of Silence of the Lambs is going to win out.
    Rogers Video, Canada's largest video store chain, is carrying this version only for sale and for rent. I'm assuming Blockbuster will do the same which means a lot of the P&S copies have been purchased.
    These are sad times for OAR!
    Jeff

2. Alex Shk

Alex Shk Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm... my local Blockbuster only has the widescreen version of the new release for rent - and better than 20 copies as well. Haven't checked what they have for retail sale, however.
    ------------------

3. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Unfortunately the BB I work at they sent us a shitload of PS for rent, but the WS for sale, so it kinda cancels the other out. Usually we get nothing but OAR. Maybe MGM are being asses about it. WHo knows!
    ------------------

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The local Mom & Pop place I frequent as of this weekend had received only pan & scan copies. They were somewhat ticked off about it since they had only ordered the widescreen version. They did expect to have widescreen versions in stock by street date, though they may run out fast since they have fewer copies than they ordered.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA

5. frank manrique

frank manrique Supporting Actor

One of the new versions of SOTL on DVD maybe full screen BUT IS NOT panned and scanned. The two are totally different processes.
    SOTL was shown at 1:85:1 (spherical "flat") in aspect ratio in theaters because 1: "modern" cinema plexes can only project flat and scope film formats, and 2: because some information, which is not intended to be seen by the audience, is masked off by the aperture plate installed in the film projector.
    The so-called P&S video versions of this movie are simply a full frame image zoomed to cover the whole 4:3 TV aspect ratio, but no panning nor scanning techniques were applied.
    I am not disputing the need for a widescreen version as that is exactly how it was exhibited at the cinema.
    What I do take exception to is the use of the term P&S attached to the full screen process when in fact is not...
    -THTS

6. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Coconuts in Cary also has about 50 copies of Full Screen. I bought their only Widescreen edition, which they were selling at a $3 premium. I'll probably pick it up at BB and return it to them.
    ------------------
    Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
    Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
    View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

7. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Coconuts in Cary also has about 50 copies of Full Screen. I bought their only Widescreen edition, which they were selling at a $3 premium. I'll probably pick it up at BB and return it to them.
    Seems that if SOTL sells more in FF, it will be a self-fulfilling prophecy - Market data shows that more people don't want OAR, so we'll ship more FF (to the point where WS dissapears on the shelves) and SURPRISE - FF sells better.
    ------------------
    Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
    Thank you Sci-Fi channel for Season 6 of Stargate SG-1
    View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden