Rogers Broadband and Bandwidth Caps

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Chris Bardon, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Apparently Rogers has reintroduced bandwidth caps for all of their broadband service tiers. It's pretty generous (60 Gb/month combined up/down), but it's a cap nonetheless.

Apparently there are warnings that go out at your first and second overages, and it's a "3 strikes and you're out" policy every 12 months.

Anyone else heard about this? Gotta love that they publicize "unlimited internet" in their sales literature, but don't bother to tell anyone when they cap your service. Only found out about it by co-incidence while I was on their website looking for something else...

2. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

I head about this a few weeks back on a tech show (I also watch CBC news broadcasts [​IMG]). I don't know if there's a similar cap in place with Road Runner, but I believe they have an obligation to their consumers if such a quota was in place/about to be implemented.

It's not the illegal music files that concern Rogers (which Canadians can download freely, according to a court ruling); it's the movie files that are (supposedly) taxing their bandwidth for other consumers. Is there something similar in place with providers such as Bell Sympatico?

3. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron

Nope! And my bandwidth is around 100 GB per MONTH! Never received any warning letters. [​IMG]

4. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Sympatico used to have a cap (5 Gb/month), but I guess they've removed it. I've seen reports online about people getting the warning letter that they talk about, but I have no idea how widespread it is. I suppose there's only one way to find out for sure though...