Roger Waters/In The Flesh SACD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank Zimkas, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

I've been a Pink Floyd fan for a long time so when I saw the "In the Flesh" SACD at CC I thought I'd better get it now or I'll have a tough time finding it again. Got home and plugged it in and was promptly disappointed. I can handle Pink Floyd without Waters but I just could not stand Roger Waters with out Pink Floyd, if you get my drift. A lot of great Floyd tunes are covered on this set but it just didn't do it for me. I was listening to the disk and reading the liner notes and all I could think of was "Can I get my money back?"

Some of the newer stuff by Pink Floyd really sounds great, Division Bell, Delicate Sound of Thunder, etc even without Waters. But on his own, at least on this disk I feel let down. To me Waters and David Gilmore complimented each other wonderfully, but without Gilmore, Roger Waters is trying to capture a distant past that seems quite out of his reach.

I felt that his ramblings on the liner where nothing more than self indulgent artsy fartsy bullshit! How can this guy blame the breakup of a great group on a succesfull album (Dark Side of the Moon).

Anybody else feel the same or am I nuts?

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

As much as I like Pink Floyd, it seems to me like pretty much all of their stuff is "artsy fartsy bullshit"- in fact, it's part of their charm.

I've actually heard good things about this album.

NP: Miles Davis, The Man With the Horn, CD

3. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

I was sadly disappointed with the sound quality of this multichannel sacd. I do hope that Sony will sacd other great Pink Floyd material(wall-atom heart-dark side):b

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I'm with Dan! I have 73 SACD's and Water's disc is by far the worst sounding one.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I too find that the sound quality of the Waters SACD to be lacking. However, it is listenable and is better than the CD. At this point, it's the only way to get Pink Floyd music on SACD, so I can't really complain too vociferously.

6. Frank Zimkas

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Frank, sorry. Please don't banish me!

I have heard a lot of poor live recordings, so I never expect much from them. Though I'm no recording engineer, I would think that recording a rock concert is more difficult than recording a studio session due to the highly variable and possibly less-than-ideal acoustics and the potential difficulty in ideally placing mics in the former case.

For what it's worth, I found the Concert for New York City SACD to be lacking. It is better than the CD, but it is by no means a landmark effort in the short history of SACD.

8. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    I was thinking about getting the In the Flesh DVD that is in DD 5.1. Can any one tell me how it compares to the SACD(is the SACD 5.1) or the CD.

Wes

9. Frank Zimkas

Wes,
    The SACD is 5.1

Send me a personal message if you want to buy mine.